• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to stop Tab cycling through Tools

Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd really like to stop the Tab button cycling through the Tools. It's probably quite simple but I can't find how to stop this from happening. I'd appreciate any help.

If I load a Legacy feature will that affect loads of other Photoshop features?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

It sounds like you want to enable the option Use Shift Key for Tool Switch, in the Tools panel of the Preferences dialog box. By enabling that option, a tool will not switch when you press its single-key shortcut, unless you also press the Shift key.

Photoshop-prefs-Tools.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tab should hide/show the Panels and I am not sure one can change that, so just to make sure: Which exact Photoshop version and OS version are you using? 

»If I load a Legacy feature will that affect loads of other Photoshop features?«

Which features are you talking about? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying, I just re-read my post and realise I must have been on a different planet when I wrote it!  What I meant was this:  I want to stop the tool selection shortcut key (e.g. B for brush tool) cycling through the different brush slections available.  I work quickly and don't like to have to keep looking at the tools panel to see what tool I have selected,  but if I have the Brush tool selected and press it again (because I've been doing other stuff like re-naming layers and have forgotten which tool I have selected) it cycles to the pencil tool and then the colour replacement tool and I have to backtrack and reselect the brush tool all the time because I'm inadvertently using the wrong tool.  It's really slowing my workflow down and bugging the hell out of me.

Thanks for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you want to enable the option Use Shift Key for Tool Switch, in the Tools panel of the Preferences dialog box. By enabling that option, a tool will not switch when you press its single-key shortcut, unless you also press the Shift key.

Photoshop-prefs-Tools.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG, that's it! It was so easy!  Thank you so much, my sanity is restored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines