Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to invert colors of a black object in an image using Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2009 Aug 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

on a picture. i can turn a blue object into yellow, green or any other color. and vice versa.
To do that i know 5 different ways, or combination of those methods.

1- Hue/Saturation
2- Color Balance
3- Selective Color
4- Replece Color (Similar to Hue/Saturation)

5- select the area, create a new layer, paint the selected area on new layer, blend the new layer with "linear burn".

but when it comes to black, i can't change the black to another color with any of the ways above. So i was wondering if it is possible to turn a black object into white without killing the texture. Or cleaning the object from colors, making it colorless.
best way i know so far is playing with "exposure" settings. but this time the objcet on the image is becoming blure and loosing its texture.

Here is the object i m trying to make white (or colorless). Do you know any way to do it?

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8325/siyahitu.jpg

i need to make that shoe as white/colorless as this one below.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9971/waffleracerb1024.jpg

Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's easier than you think, just use an Invert adjustment (layer) to turn it white then mask out the background. As for getting rid of the color, just use a Black & White adjustment (layer)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. But i wish it was that easy

i can simply select the whole shoe and do ctrl+i (short cut to invert) to invert the dark colors to white. But while it turns the dark colors into white it also turns white parts into black. which i don't want to.

it doesnt have to be plain white, i need it to be as white as possible then i can use it as a template to try different colors on it. (like the second photo i sent)

If i do it with "invert" the when i paint it the shoe doesnt look real, its because with "invert" option, light parts becomming shadow, and shaddows becoming light.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like this?

It's a bit ghostly!

siyahitu2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but this is not the shoe without color, this is the negative of the shoe image.  while "invert" turns the dark colors into white it also turns white parts into black. which i don't want to

i can select the black area and play with  image>adjustment>exposure  settings until it becomes white. but this also makes it look blure.

sen.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If i do it with "invert" the when i paint it the shoe doesnt look real, its because with "invert" option, light parts becomming shadow, and shaddows becoming light.

that's actually a good thing, without that it would look very, very fake. All you have to do is get your selection just right so that you only have the shoe selected and not the shadow. Use something like the Quick Selection tool or Select->Color Range. You will probably also need a Curves adjustment layer to darken the shoe a bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

black to white.jpg

For some reason known only to Adobe the images you posted in your original inquiry did not appear on my computer. As a result my suggestion may not be much help. 

Shifting from black to white is a Curves adjustment. One problem that may pop up when you attempt the change in RGB mode and Curves alone is a color shift because both tone and color reside in the same channel. On the other hand, Lab Color separates color from tone so that tones may altered without affecting color, as shown above. Having made a Seection, and changed the Mode to Lab color, if you set the  a  AND the  b curves as shown in the lower right -- a horizontal curve so that it bisects the grid -- neutral gray values are assured.  The tone curve (Lightness) can then be adjusted as shown in the lower left to produce a white object...with the value of whiteness entirely up to you. It is difficult to offer a precise recommendation for you without seeing your file but the sample above should get you started. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to edit the copy I wrote to correct typos and clarify some item but Adobe decided I was not edit-worthy. If you need any additonal information to undeerstand what I had written, please post your questions here or send me a personal message. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Image > Adjustment > Invert or Command I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines