Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to undo unintended double-click in a long selection

Explorer ,
May 10, 2010 May 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

This has been so annoying to me. I am using Photoshop CS4 and have to do extensive selections with the Polygonal Lasso Tool and sometimes I accidentally double click it making it close the selection that completely messes it up wasting me several minutes needed to reselect it again. Is there any way to undo this double-click that I don't know of? (The undo command undoes the *whole* selection.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try converting the selection to a path (right click -> Make Work Path, choosing a tolerance of 2).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This gave me a starting point. After converting the selection to work path, use the tool under pen tool as indicated in the attached image here. This will allow reshaping the path. Once unwanted selection has been put out of harm's way, simply right click the path and convert to selection.

Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the "step backward" command under Edit. You can step back around 16-20 actions. I was using a few minutes ago making a tornado from a tutorial.

CHEERS...Mathew

Hi:

This has been so annoying to me. I am using Photoshop CS4 and have to do extensive selections with the Polygonal Lasso Tool and sometimes I accidentally double click it making it close the selection that completely messes it up wasting me several minutes needed to reselect it again. Is there any way to undo this double-click that I don't know of? (The undo command undoes the whole selection.)

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the first post -- The issue happens during selection so I don't see how that would apply?

Second post -- Yes, of course I tried Ctrl+Alt+Z. What it does, it removes the selection completely. I also tried the Backspace that removes the last lasso point during selection but unfortunately it doesn't do it when selection was closed (again after my accidental double-click).

There should be a solution to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can say is right now CS5 is buggy and I hope the fixs are fast in coming through. Now that this out, how would you like to be a code writer doing the fixes? Sounds like a MS product

I am committed to it as it is the future and I really hate going backwards if I can avoid it.

On the tool problem, perhaps you are screwed once you do the double click. I was always able to step back in CS4. Perhaps it is control-Z only. You have to be able to step back somehow. I now have a screwup issue on the selections and have to start ove too. Its my fault, not the software. Sigh.

CHEERS...Mathew

Regarding the first post -- The issue happens during selection so I don't see how that would apply?

Second post -- Yes, of course I tried CtrlAltZ. What it does, it removes the selection completely. I also tried the Backspace that removes the last lasso point during selection but unfortunately it doesn't do it when selection was closed (again after my accidental double-click).

There should be a solution to it?

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mdharg wrote:

"step backward" command under Edit. You can step back around 16-20 actions

>

If I were you, I'd definitely up it to some bigger number in Edit -> Preferences -> Perfomance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last week I built a poster that was 27 layers and lots of other crap. I could not figure out how to

consolidate some of it down. It violated the kiss rule and I deserved the hassles. But it printed nice as

a finished mini-poster. Most of the steps I need in photo work is kept to a minimum, and I find I just do

not need that many stepbacks.

The future may not be that rosy as I progress deeper into the CS4/5 classes at the college. That is

if I do not go broke from being out of work and survivng on unemployment. the other ugly part is

watching the photography businesses going broke and the great photographers having a tough time

on income. At 55 I have no expectations of financial survival long enough to make it through

the two year course. At least at college there are some very nice people there to keep me from

being completely isolated.

CHEERS...Mathew

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 11, 2010 May 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not try using the 'regular' lasso tool? If you want straight lines, hold down the alt key while you click away - straight lines and curvey ones without tool switching. No double clicking involved. If you let go and you end up with an incomplete selection, hold shift - alt click and add away. I never found a need for the polygon lasso this way. I hear the pen tool works as well too, just never got around to it (lifes too short :). Just remember there are many ways to do the 'right' way in PS, the trick is finding something that works for you.

And keep 'yer chin up, I'm as 'mature' as you and got a degree only a couple years ago while under-employed. Education is the best way to recharge those creative batteries and I was surprised at the number of people out there in my similar predicament. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TLL... wrote:

Why not try using the 'regular' lasso tool? If you want straight lines, hold down the alt key while you click away - straight lines and curvey ones without tool switching. No double clicking involved. If you let go and you end up with an incomplete selection, hold shift - alt click and add away. I never found a need for the polygon lasso this way. I hear the pen tool works as well too, just never got around to it (lifes too short :). Just remember there are many ways to do the 'right' way in PS, the trick is finding something that works for you.

And keep 'yer chin up, I'm as 'mature' as you and got a degree only a couple years ago while under-employed. Education is the best way to recharge those creative batteries and I was surprised at the number of people out there in my similar predicament. Good luck!

Well, like you said it's a matter of personal preferences. I personally like using the pen tool since it can provide the best way of selecting a complex object (provided you perfect the way to use it). I use it all the time in After Effects and Illustrator, but Photoshop has an "interesting" pen tool that creates a path instead. I know that one can convert it into a selection, but that involves one more operation. That is why I chose the best alternative to the pen tool available in Ps -- Polygonal Lasso Tool. I can compensate for the absence of the bezier curves in it by making many linear points, but that has a draw back of me ending up with doubleclicks if I'm not careful.

As for the plain Lasso Tool, it may be good for a simple selection but that would definitely not work for a complex one. My main beef with it is that once the mouse button is released the selection is closed. Again, my approach to selection in this thread is primarily for rotoscoping objects out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't undo the double click but you can make sure that the 'add to selection' option is highlighted in the option bar and continue making your selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's what I end up doing, although often times a simple addition of another selection doesn't fix it (in case of an intricate selection pattern).

It just dawned on me, is it possible to disable closing of a selection by a double-click?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to disable double clicking from making a selection.

You could do as Wolf Eilers suggested and use the pen tool instead of the poly lasso tool. That would have the advantage of not making a selection until you are ready. You could also edit the path and use curved lines as well as the straight one to make a more intricate selection. Another advantage is the path can be used to make the selection again if ever need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That might be a good idea, plus I can use a pen tool that provides a better selection techniques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines