Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use Middle Mouse button as hand tool

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks. 

I would like to adress my question directly to the enginers, hope some of them gonna answer me: how does it possible that since PS CS5 there are full of threads about the need of middle mouse button as a key for using hand tool, but we still have no option and we forced to use third party softwares for that. 

I know there are many users (so am I) want to have this option in photoshop as in every other graphic software, even the simplest ones support this possibility. It would be very much appreciated to have this simple shortcut setting. 

Thank you in advance.

Vic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Hi

The Adobe Feedback Foum is monitored by Adobe engineers, so you can post your query over there

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The Adobe Feedback Foum is monitored by Adobe engineers, so you can post your query over there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess Adobe force all to use third party software. Apple or Microsoft for even running Photoshop. Display manufacturers device drivers for displaying images, Tablet makers drivers for Pen.  Mice makers for middle button support.  Personally I would not run an Adobe operating system or want to have to depend on Adobe code to support devices. Adobe code development is not the best. Use middle and left buttons together

image.png

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 02, 2023 Dec 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second this. It's almost 2024 and Photoshop still doesn't have this great feature. Illustrator do has it though.

I have just found out that the middle click was implemented in 1996 by Microsoft (Intellimouse), and since then, it has been widely adopted by all computer mouse manufacturers:

1b38387cb8ccae7a454cc30014dbdd22.jpg

But for some reason, Adobe has not taken full advantage of having a scroll wheel with a middle click, even after 27 years. Adobe's developers seem to be very lazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is that important to you, get a mouse that supports it.

image.png

Gaming mice and keyboards are really useful addons for Photoshop.  As well as paning by pressing the wheel, I can change brush size by one pixel with the backwards and forwards keys, and by larger amounts using the side scroll wheel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Trevor.Dennis  🤦‍:male_sign:

No one should have to spend additional money to purchase a special peripheral for a basic function. The middle click, functioning as a hand tool, is available in many graphic apps for any mouse. In 3D apps, it is primarily used as an orbit tool. Even Adobe Illustrator and Adobe After Effects take advantage of it, but for some reason, Photoshop (and Premiere Pro)  doesn't, which is strange because these are apps made by the same company:

Middle Click Panning

Photoshop

Illustrator

OK

After Effects

OK

Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Trevor.Dennis 

Are you implying that other companies should do the job that Adobe should have done themselves? Consequently, should users have to spend more money on purchasing special devices and software that, ideally, shouldn't even exist in the first place?

image-2.png

PS. I have a good mouse that I am 100% satisfied with, except when I launch some of the Adobe products I'm paying for. It's the Logitech G603.

600_products_1667917143752387_0.jpeg

PSS. I used to own the MX Master 3, but I wasn't satisfied with it and sold it due to its slow sensor. The G603, on the other hand, has a much better sensor, making it significantly more precise and responsive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines