• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to weave a 3d object in photoshop

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to using 3D in photoshop and I am wondering how to weave 3d objects. In the artwork attached, the crown of thorns would need to be weaved together. Can anyone explain this to a beginner? I am accustomed to working with shapes in 2D and moving points if that is part of the process.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is an Image processing application with some basic 3D features added on.  You should look for an application designed as a 3D application to sculpture and weave 3D object models. They may have tools to help you do what you want to do. IMO Photoshop is not the right application for doing something like that.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I would start with the default ring template
  • export that as Obj with Png textures
  • import the Obj into Dimension and add a weave material... the default one has adjustments
  • once you have a pattern you like export it as Obj
  • open that model in Photoshop... yes you can buy more complex patterns or models but for a simple [free] option this should cover the basics

Screenshot (4061).pngScreenshot (4064).pngScreenshot (4066).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would require an application such as Blender.

I would use the Celtic Knot plugin to generate a 16-side two-strand celtic knot.

(https://github.com/BorisTheBrave/celtic-knot)

rayek_elfin_0-1594270602011.png

Then convert the curve to a bezier one, and decimate the curve to the point where each side has one control point.

Next, scale the entire thing in the x-axis, and enter edit mode. Select random points and scale those up and down with alt-s, move stuff around to create a more random look. Use proportional fall-off to move portions, Up till the point of a more natural random look.

rayek_elfin_1-1594270638229.png

Then convert the object to polygons, and ensure I have sufficient resolution to start sculpting. Enter sculpt mode, and use the Snake Hook tool with Dyntopo activated (turn off symmetry), and drag out those thorns.

rayek_elfin_2-1594270722159.png

When happy with the thorns, turn off Dyntopo, and remesh. Then use the smooth tool to smooth out some of the quirks, and use draw sculpt tool to add more surface randomness. Finally, add a quick golden surface.

rayek_elfin_4-1594272024955.png

Done. Takes around 15-20 minutes. I have included the obj for you to use in Photoshop (saved in Collada format). It's a bit rough around the edges, but hopefully good enough for your purpose. Open in Blender to improve/smooth out the surface more, if required.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ppEdUxg3JgwLd-NgWUKQ1u3HrVtsbPrm/view?usp=sharing

PS I checked online to see if a thorn crown object could be downloaded from a 3d object site. Much to my surprise users actually charge money for the simplest of objects... And asking money for a thorn crown seemed somewhat anti-ethical? So I made a quick thorn crown for you. Use as you like, this object is in the public domain now.

Thanks for the play. Was fun to work on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines