I Am Extremely Frustrated - Pixelation when pasting images and can figure out the problem.

Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been a Photoshop user since the early 2000s. Recently since moving to this new cloud based stuff and subscription fee I am feeling very frustrated. There seems to be an issue when pasting things from one image to another. 99.99% of my Photoshop work is just image manipulation for websites. So I am grabbing logos and pasting them into images, sometimes using photos of an artist or their work and making things like header images and such. 

The issue happens when I am pasting images into a new project. In the old version of Photoshop the pasted images would retain their image quality, but now they are pixelating and I cant figure out why. Its extremely frustrating as this has never been an issue until these new versions of photoshop. I have deadlines to meet and dont have time to be messing around and Photoshop slowing me down. I have attached examples...

The header is 1000 x 250 and the images I am using for the logos are WAY bigger than the image I am putting them into. They are 300dpi and the Header is 72dpi. It makes no sense to me why these images are pixelating. 

example.jpg

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

I Am Extremely Frustrated - Pixelation when pasting images and can figure out the problem.

Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been a Photoshop user since the early 2000s. Recently since moving to this new cloud based stuff and subscription fee I am feeling very frustrated. There seems to be an issue when pasting things from one image to another. 99.99% of my Photoshop work is just image manipulation for websites. So I am grabbing logos and pasting them into images, sometimes using photos of an artist or their work and making things like header images and such. 

The issue happens when I am pasting images into a new project. In the old version of Photoshop the pasted images would retain their image quality, but now they are pixelating and I cant figure out why. Its extremely frustrating as this has never been an issue until these new versions of photoshop. I have deadlines to meet and dont have time to be messing around and Photoshop slowing me down. I have attached examples...

The header is 1000 x 250 and the images I am using for the logos are WAY bigger than the image I am putting them into. They are 300dpi and the Header is 72dpi. It makes no sense to me why these images are pixelating. 

example.jpg

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 17, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a meaningful screenshot. 

That means View > 100% and with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible. 

Are the logos Smart Objects? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2020 0
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Settings_1.jpgSettings_2.jpgSettings_3.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked the Resample Method (as per @D Fosse ’s advice)? 

And I recommend that you place those logos as Smart Objects. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2020 0
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this Smart Object thing something new in the latest version? I never had to do this before. I was always able to just copy the image and paste into the new thing I was working on without it doing anything wonky. This is beyond frustrating. Im no photoshop master obviously nor do I have time to become one. This makes zero sense that it worked fine in every version of photoshop that I had purchased till this subscription / cloud BS started. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Objects were introduced in Photoshop CS2, so that’s more than a decade … 

You need not use Smart Objects if you prefer not to. You may be doing unnecessary damage to the images but that’s your choice. 

What are your Interpolation settings? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

300 ppi, 72ppi 1 ppi or 1000ppi are all irrelevant to what you are doing on screen, they are just numbers used to calculate print size.

All that matters on the screen is pixel size i.e. number of pixels wide and number of pixels high. If there are insufficient in the source images or in the final image then you will see pixellation.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2020 1
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And with all that said, this looks like the wrong resampling algorithm. It looks like "nearest neighbor" instead of one of the bicubic options.

This is actually set in 3 places, and I must admit I have no idea which one overrides the others under which circumstances. Better check all three:

resample3.png

Make no mistake: any resampling (changing pixel size) will reduce quality somewhat. And at the bottom of it all is pixels. The smaller the number, the poorer the definition. But it should mostly be a general softening, nothing like this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2020 2
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»any resampling (changing pixel size) will reduce quality somewhat«

That’s why it is so important to work with Smart Objects. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2020 0
Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, but sooner or later it has to be rasterized, and then the damage happens inevitably.

I know you know that, it's just important to emphasize that smart objects don't eliminate destruction, they just reduce it to one instance instead of several.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2020 1