• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I am getting a straight line when I am typing in Photoshop.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a beginner. How can I change this in order to see the text?

Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 6.12.05 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

You text color is black. That's why you can't see it.

Photoshop has two text modes. If you click the Type tool and type text, you get a line with the text on it. If you click and drag the Type tool, it makes a resizable box for your text. Either is fine, although the text box is a little more flexible.

This is explained in the Photoshop Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a meaningful screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Layers, Characters, Options Bar, …) visible?

What is the Foreground Color?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either your text colour is black, so you can't see the text, or the size is so small you can't see it.  I bet it is the text colour, because the line would be so short as to be hardly visible if it was text size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You text color is black. That's why you can't see it.

Photoshop has two text modes. If you click the Type tool and type text, you get a line with the text on it. If you click and drag the Type tool, it makes a resizable box for your text. Either is fine, although the text box is a little more flexible.

This is explained in the Photoshop Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey you guys. Thank you so much for the help. I was able to locate the place to change color. Instead of clicking the arrow next to the colors I was clicking the color itself.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the same exact issue but its not the color. i tried changing color font etc. no matter what i type it just keeps making a horizontal line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to change the TEXT color, not the normal background and foreground colors.  Either look up at the top of the screen where are the options are when you are in the text tool and you will see a box with color in it.  Click on that and it will open a color change panel so you can change the text color.  Alternately, to to Windows>Properties while in the text tool and in that pane you will also see a colored box.  Same thing - click on it to change color.  The reason you don't see your text and just a line usually is because the text color is the same color as your background.  (If that is not the reason, check the size of your text - it may be too small for you to see.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure your text layer is on top of whatever other layers you have. It took me forever to figure this out. Hope this resolves your issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're literally a lifesaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines