• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

i can't export/save my psb as a PDF

Feb 08, 2015 Feb 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have made a banner in CS5.

it's larger than 2GB and is CMYK, 600dpi.

I can't save/export as a PDF, which the printer service specifies.

Any solutions!?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

It is best not to copy/paste photos into InDesign. And on NO ACCOUNT try to copy and paste the whole layout into InDesign, that would go from bad to worse. Instead, collect the source photos together and place each one. Redo the text (you can copy and paste the text as text, if you want). If you have done much layout, sorry, you need to redo it.

If you like, post the full details from the printer. We may be able to better guide you, and point out more pitfalls.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact that "printer service".  I doubt they want a >2 GB file of any type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's what i thought as well, but how would i make it smaller than 2GB without losing quality. the printer guy asked for it at 600dpi as well! eek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the image content?  Is it fully raster or does it have vector content?  To make sense of saving as PDF using the High Quality Print Preset, you need to leave all layers intact with no copy merged layers at, or near, the top of the stack.  Make sure Layers is checked in the PDF dialog box. Un-check Preserve Photoshop editing capability  to keep file size down. It is likely to produce a _much_ smaller file in the saved PDF.

There is a bit of a gotcha with this.  Just make sure that next time you save the PSB file it is set to save layers.  I have fallen foul of this twice before relising what was happening.  As Station said above, Hitting Ctrl?Cmd s every ten minutes is OK, but I absolutely increment the file name every 30 minutes or so.  I started doing this after seeing several people losing work when their system crashed part way through a save, which corrupted the file and they lost everything.

I don't have CS5 installed to test, but I just tried it on a 3.5Gb PSB file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought.  I use Shadow Protect for backups.  This works by saving any changes to your protected drives on whatever time period you set.  Mine is set to 15 minutes.  Now I've never tried this, but you can mount the back as a drive choosing any of those save points, so it seems to me that mounting an earlier point might give you access to the PSB file as it stood at that moment in time.  I'll test that out when I get a minute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, when multi-layered PSDs get corrupted, there is no known tool out there that can recover it? I'd at least like to advise people to save their money.

I'm a big fan of backup and the incremental naming scheme should work. I wonder if there is an action for it?

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't remember a single time when someone has asked about a corrupted PSD file, and been told about one of the PSD restore apps, that they have got all their layers back.  The good to come out of it is that it has encouraged forum regulars to save with incremental file names. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trevor. Incremental file-names it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor.

Thank for the advice. However - i can't save the layers in the PDF option as you suggest, when saving, because there simply is no PDF option! if i could save as PDF anyway i'd be happy.

Also it's a psb file, not a PSD file, and it's definitely not a corrupt file.

I haven't got merged layers, which you said might be an issue...

And i have raster images as well as two vector images in the file.

i'm stuck!

i'm not sure what you mean by backing up and incrementing the file name?

Any further ideas? thank you for those tips guys but they don't seem to lead me anywhere...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the printer ask you to design the banner in Photoshop? It's not the obvious choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No they didn't, but the image i've made involves photo, and effects i added

to them using photoshop - which i need.

What should i have used?

could i copy and paste my photopieces into an aI file or inDesign?

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Test Screen Name <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the printer did say to 'create outlines' before i save as a PDF - which i

haven't done... because creating outlines would mean all my photos would

have a line around them right?

or could i just create outlines (or stroke as i've heard them called?) but

make them transparent?

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 1:24 PM, Philippa Hunt <philly.c.hunt@gmail.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating outlines is not something you do in Photoshop at all. He presumably has in mind that you would use Illustrator or InDesign. Photoshop is not a layout tool and using it as one can create all manner of problems, not least colossal files of poor quality text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh ok. so if i make it in inDesign - i would need to copy and paste the work i've done in Photoshop. would that work? i assume so... as long as the file is the same size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is best not to copy/paste photos into InDesign. And on NO ACCOUNT try to copy and paste the whole layout into InDesign, that would go from bad to worse. Instead, collect the source photos together and place each one. Redo the text (you can copy and paste the text as text, if you want). If you have done much layout, sorry, you need to redo it.

If you like, post the full details from the printer. We may be able to better guide you, and point out more pitfalls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ok, good to know!!

there's not too much layout, so that's ok.

thanks so much! i will report back with my results.

thank you everyone for your efforts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines