• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't figure out why Photoshop won't let me make a clipping mask?

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm not quite sure how I'm getting making a clipping mask incorrectly. I have tried:

1. Making a new layer for the clipping mask, putting it above the layer I want to clip it to, and then pressing the alt button while hovering my mouse over the layer line. Nothing happens. (It think this is called a keyboard shortcut?) This is the method the tutorial I'm trying to follow uses, I'll attach a photo incase I'm interpreting it wrong and you want to see it.tumblr_ogpdi66U2r1vsx592o3_1280.jpg

2. Trying to find the 'Create Clipping Mask' button I've seen in tutorials which is a circle inside of a square. I don't seem to have one (I have attached a picture). Instead I have two overlapping squares that say 'Make/Release Clipping Mask'. I figured this would do the same thing, but when I click on the layer I want to be the clipping mask and then go to click the button it's greyed out. It's only available when I click on layers that have things on them, and of course I don't want to make it into a clipping mask.

3. Clicking Windows > Layers to see if there was a second way to control layers than the side panel. 

4. Ctrl + 7

Image of my screen for reference: 

Screenshot (236).png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshots are from Photoshop AND Illustrator.

But the title says: Photoshop

[ moved from Illustrator to Photoshop forum ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Be sure that you really work with Photoshop - and not with Illustrator!

You are right.

In older Photoshop versions (pre CC ???) the clipping mask had two circles as an icon. But now it is a square with an arrow.

@Placeholder_20  wrote:

… Making a new layer for the clipping mask, putting it above the layer I want to clip it to, and then pressing the alt button while hovering my mouse over the layer line. Nothing happens …

• Should be: … putting it below the layer you want …
    Then "pressing the alt button while hovering my mouse over the layer line" works as expected.

@Placeholder_20  wrote:

… Trying to find the 'Create Clipping Mask' button I've seen in tutorials which is a circle inside of a square. …

• This is another kind of a mask - a Layer Mask (not a Clipping Mask)

@Placeholder_20  wrote:

… pressing the alt button while hovering my mouse over the layer line. Nothing happens. (It think this is called a keyboard shortcut?) …

• The keyboard shortcut for creating a Clipping Mask in Photoshop is [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[G]

(Only the layer above the "clipping layer" should be active in Layers Panel while using this shortcut!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines