Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't transform/rotate an image

Dec 12, 2011 Dec 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CS design 5.5 Photoshop. I'm trying to use edit/transform/rotate to straighten an image. I have a vertical ruler next to a vertical line I want to rotate a few degrees but my cursor arrow never changes to a double arrow to allow me to rotate the image. I'm working on a layer duplicate of the background. I'm sure it's something simple I haven't done. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

JohnB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 13, 2011 Dec 13, 2011

If your goal is to rotate some component of the image on a layer, try making a selection first, then Edit - Free Transform, then drag somewhere outside the edge of the component to rotate it.

--

If your goal is to rotate the entire image, try this:

1. Select the Ruler Tool.
  2. Drag it along a line that's supposed to be vertical or horizontal.
  3. Press the [Straighten] button up near the top of the Photoshop main window.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
Dec 12, 2011 Dec 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want a more sure fire way of straightening you might try this:

In the TOOLS (if you have the bar open) find the one with the color picker.

Hold your mouse on the black triangle in the lower right corner unti the flyout appears

Select the RULER tool

Using that draw either a vertical or horizontal line that is your level or straight line.

Go to IMAGE and select IMAGE ROTATION from the options.

Select ARBITRARY

The degrees show up automatically (much better than a guess) and you select either clockwise or counter clockwise.

Push the button and it should make you happier.....

Now all you'll need do if you want it square is to mask and crop.

Hope this help and makes it easier for you.

Brad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 13, 2011 Dec 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And don't forget that you can use a decimal point in the "Arbitray" to make finer adjustment (.1)

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your goal is to rotate some component of the image on a layer, try making a selection first, then Edit - Free Transform, then drag somewhere outside the edge of the component to rotate it.

--

If your goal is to rotate the entire image, try this:

1. Select the Ruler Tool.
  2. Drag it along a line that's supposed to be vertical or horizontal.
  3. Press the [Straighten] button up near the top of the Photoshop main window.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Noel, that will help me in the future

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel's answer is a good one...I just like to set my own crop and if need be rebuild areas by cloning, making the photo my decision not Adobe's. There is nothing wrong with either one and the beauty of PS is you have options.

Main thing is you got option answers to your question...I hope.

Brad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I liked Noel's answer for my particular problem, but thanks to all of you for responding so quickly. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I've been burning trees that died this year due to the drought we have in Texas. Thanks again to all of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the reason I found this thread. I have the newest PS and I'm trying to rotate on free transform like I have done for years... and it just isn't doing it. No error shows up, just does nothing when I try to drag it, rotate it, change the size of the layer etc. I need to manually rotate it to achieve a certain look on my pattern design and it just isn't letting me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, turned out I could do it with my tablet pen and then it worked fine! No idea why it wasn't an issue before now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same thing happening to me, did you manage to figure out a way to make it work without the tablet pen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines