• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot associate files with Adobe Photoshop CC

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since installing Photoshop CC, I cannot associate jpg's or psd's with Photoshop CC. I have used the "open with..." dialog box (something I have done a million times, so I know what I'm doing), but after choosing Photoshop, it does not appear in the list of recommended or other programs and will not open the jpg or psd file in Photoshop.

FYI, I installed Photoshop CC while Photoshop CS6 was still on my computer. I then deinstalled Photoshop CS6 and that is when I noticed the problem.

Please help...this is extremely frustrating.

Thank you!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

***I BELIEVE I HAVE FOUND THE ROOT CAUSE AND SOLUTION***

After looking at a new user's registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER and comparing it to the one on the original user, I found a registry value which was not changed, and should have been.

I found a key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command

This key was set to the path for Photoshop CS6 when it should have been set to Photoshop CC.

In other words, in my case, it was set to:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 197 Replies 197
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sweat! Just regurgitating what middle.aged.hack figured out.

Yeah, the "2017" is a fun new wrinkle in the whole shebang.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I do this? I can't find anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry... I neglected to include that middle.aged.hack had written in a previous email that to begin, you need to hit the Windows Start button, then in the Search field, type "regedit" (without the quotes). It will open your Registry Editor and you navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command

then proceed with the rest of the instructions (in reply #162). Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sorted the problem out for me thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this! It also works (and obviously will cause problems) when upgrading from PS CC 15 to PS CC 17!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can this be done on a Mac please? I am having this issue too and it's driving me nuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version MacOS? What version Ps? All image files or just PSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry not to include all the details...

Mac OS El Capitan

CS Photoshop 2018

All image files, including PDS... the option to choose PDF doesn't even show up when you right click to choose an app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

** SB: Option to choose "Photoshop" doesn't show up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's try adding Photoshop:

Select a png or jpeg, then Cmd i for the Info dialog...

Go to the "Open with" section.

If Photoshop is not listed in the drop down menu, go to the bottom of the list and click on "Other..."

This opens the Finder dialog. Navigate to the Applications folder and inside the Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 folder, select the Adobe Photoshop CC 2018.app  and click on the Add button. Once you have it as your selected "Open With" program, click  the Change All button, so that all PNGs will open in Photoshop if that's what you want. It should keep that association from now on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay in replying, super busy ATM. I have done this at least a half dozen times if not more. It does not stick. This started to happen when I updated my CS to the latest version. Is there a way to reset this? Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I just did this again this morning and it's now showing Photoshop as an option in the menu and opens in Photoshop. I restarted and it's still available and working. However, I have done this in the past and it falls off again. I've reset this at least a half dozen times... hence why it's driving me nuts.   If there was a way to just reset the damn settings I would be a happy camper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the Apple Support folks should take it from here since it is an OSX file association problem. If they figure this one out, let us know what went wrong.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's not an issue with a corrupt PS preference or setting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can, uninstall 2018, install CC 2017 and see if you have the same problem. If you do, it's not Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay,, thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Been having this problems since CC updated from 2018 to 2019. Just changed the registry to 2019 instead of 2018 (in the location you pointed to) and it now works fine, like it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no problem with this on CC, but I did have this exact problem with CS6. I found the solution on this Microsoft page but I can't for the life of me remember which answer was the right one for me. I do believe it was in the first block marked "Answer" because once I found this page I fixed it very quickly.  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/add-a-program-to-the...

Hope it helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2014 Mar 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inviso - I just posted a possible fix that might work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to CC 2015 and this method is not working when trying to associate a .jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to my post 106: yesterday I updated through the Creative Cloud app to Photoshop CC 2015 and ended up with the same problem when I clicked on a jpg today. Basically the problem and solution was the same as before.Going to the registry (and this time I knew where to look and as a novice was a little more confident than before) the key still read "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Photoshop.exe" "%1" with which I had replaced the old CS5 command. As CC 2015 had replaced CC 2014 when I updated the key now pointed to a non-existent program. Replacing it with "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Photoshop.exe" "%1" worked fine.

I'm a little annoyed because Adobe must be aware of this bug and should have dealt with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this fix, but still not letting me associate it with jpgs. PS will associate with some items, but not all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks A Ton Ashutosh.

Finally my problem solved....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2016 Aug 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS cc isn't in the list of programs to associate with!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines