Highlighted

I found a paintbrush option nobody ever heard of but it won't go away

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found a paintbrush setting that I can't get rid of, and nobody ever heard of in the forum (based on my previous questions). I've updated to the latest photoshop as of a couple days ago when this started.

The setting makes the output a bunch of tiny plus signs, so if I paint white on a black layer mask, it makes a bunch of tiny white plus signs that I can only see if I zoom in, or the brush is huge.

I tried and tried to fix it, and I posted on here with no responses that knew how to do this, but the problem went away. Now, I foolishly opened a document that I had this problem on, and now it's back. It even happens on other documents I opened.

I'm going to have to give up photoshop if there isn't a known solution (I'm sure there is, it's just an obscure option that people haven't heard of). It's pretty much useless if I can't use layer masks or paint anything.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

TOPICS
How to, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

I found a paintbrush option nobody ever heard of but it won't go away

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found a paintbrush setting that I can't get rid of, and nobody ever heard of in the forum (based on my previous questions). I've updated to the latest photoshop as of a couple days ago when this started.

The setting makes the output a bunch of tiny plus signs, so if I paint white on a black layer mask, it makes a bunch of tiny white plus signs that I can only see if I zoom in, or the brush is huge.

I tried and tried to fix it, and I posted on here with no responses that knew how to do this, but the problem went away. Now, I foolishly opened a document that I had this problem on, and now it's back. It even happens on other documents I opened.

I'm going to have to give up photoshop if there isn't a known solution (I'm sure there is, it's just an obscure option that people haven't heard of). It's pretty much useless if I can't use layer masks or paint anything.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

TOPICS
How to, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 09, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Brush Settings, Options Bar, …) visible? 

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

(So I can post on this thread after all …)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Confusal LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround seems to be to reset the tool. It's clearly a feature designed into photoshop that the help people don't know about. There's probably one programmer that likes to paint with plus signs and only they know how to turn it on and off. 

In any case, resetting the tool by right clicking on the tool icon next to the little home house near the top left of the screen. When you right click over the paint brush up there, you get two reset options, I just choose to reset the tool and it goes back to normal. It's done this twice, probably when I hit a quick key I didn't mean to. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0