• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I have autoselect layer unchecked but clicking with Type tool changes layers, and other Type issues

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new layer and verified that I have autoselect unchecked in the Move tool. 

I then click into my new layer and Photoshop changes layers to another Text layer, every time. 

Also, even if I do use the layer it's forcing me onto, I'm not able to drag a text box. It just starts with the blinking cursor.

The only way I've managed to drag a text box on the new layer is if I do something else first, like use the pen tool and then I was able to drag a text box, but that's not optimal and I'm not sure that the behavior would even be consistent.

Then I go to change font color and every time it reverts back to black. 

Plus, (on Mac) holding Delete won't delete multiple characters. It just deletes one and then stops. 

Super frustrating. I could have sworn text boxes were working fine for me a month ago.

I can post a screen capture video if that's allowed? Or, anyone have an idea of what could be going on?

Thank you for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Hello, yes, a video could help, maybe put a youtube one, so that we can see the issue.

Remember also, to get help quikly, to give your Photoshop version you can find it in the menu Photoshop>About Photoshop, and your operating system, including its version number, as there might be bugs unique to this combination.

If you are trying to create a text box or a text line next to an existing layer, it will automatically target it, regardless of the autoselect layer settings.

To avoid that, shift+cl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can post a screen capture.

• How are you creating your layers? You state that your are creating a layer, then clicking in it with the type tool. When you click with the Type tool, that will either create a new layer or put an insertion point in an existing layer.
  • Look in your Layers panel as you work. What do you see there?
  • To reset the Type tool, select the Type tool without being on a type layer. Right click the Type tool in the options bar (not Toolbar) and reset,
  • If it is still flakey, go to Preferences > General > Reset Preferences on Quit (after backing up any customization), but don't do that just yet.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, yes, a video could help, maybe put a youtube one, so that we can see the issue.

Remember also, to get help quikly, to give your Photoshop version you can find it in the menu Photoshop>About Photoshop, and your operating system, including its version number, as there might be bugs unique to this combination.

If you are trying to create a text box or a text line next to an existing layer, it will automatically target it, regardless of the autoselect layer settings.

To avoid that, shift+click instead of simply clicking.

If you have recurring issues, it might be useful to reset the text tool, by a right-click on its icon in the Option Bar, resettools.png

and/or resetting the character palette by going to its panel menu located on its top right. resetchar.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you both for your detailed feedback.

It seems like resetting the tool worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines