I have been using CS5 Photoshop for Months with NO PROBLEM then 2 days ago it began crashing nonstop

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using CS5 on my iMac for a very long time with little or no problem for a very long time.  Then 2 days I got a message on iMac about a mac update implying I need to restart.  NOW Photoshop CS5 crashes nonstop.   I re-install JAVA 6 runtime.  NOW my CS5 photoshop keeps going back to the factory setting.  

NOT interested in buying an Adobe internet Photoshop subscription 

TOPICS
Bug, Crash or freeze, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

I have been using CS5 Photoshop for Months with NO PROBLEM then 2 days ago it began crashing nonstop

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using CS5 on my iMac for a very long time with little or no problem for a very long time.  Then 2 days I got a message on iMac about a mac update implying I need to restart.  NOW Photoshop CS5 crashes nonstop.   I re-install JAVA 6 runtime.  NOW my CS5 photoshop keeps going back to the factory setting.  

NOT interested in buying an Adobe internet Photoshop subscription 

TOPICS
Bug, Crash or freeze, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 29, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of OS? You may have to reverse to an earlier OS version if you want to continue to use this 10 year old application. If you should consider upgrading, the Photography Plan includes the latest version of Photoshop, and upgrades, as they become available, plus Lightroom and some cloud storage for around $10 a month. Alternatively there's Photoshop Elements, a kind of Photoshop light, that cost around $80 for a one-off payment.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using MAC OS 10.14.6 macOS Mojave with 24 GB RAM.  

I used illustrate comics primarily on my mac in photoshop.  BUT that ended pretty much in 2008.  NOW I have times where I do lots of illustrations on my mac then nothing for extended periods of time.  IN June of 2020 my iMac was giving me problems called apple and they recommended I upgrade to Mojave.  

I had NOT upgraded my Mac OS because it did NOT work primarily with Photoshop CS5.  APPLE insisted Photoshop CS5 would work.  After upgrading to Mojave my other software problem went away and Photoshop CS5 worked.  I had a health problem in August.  But by September or October I was back drawing.  From that time period to about 2 or more days ago I had NO Problem with Photoshop CS5.  

APPLE sends out a security update and NOW Photoshop CS will NOT stop crashing.  I had had time to call APPLE and wait several hours on hold.  APPLE tech support used to better.  

SO I was looking for a simple answer.  in 2018 there appears to thousand of posts that CS5 and 6 stopped working in macOS Mojave.  Adding Photoshop to security app in system prefs. BUT I have already done that. 

I am NOT interested in a Photoshop internet subscription.  I go through periods where I do NOT draw or have time to draw.  THis often extended periods of time.   I had recently upgraded to fiberoptic internet mostly for my nephew who lives with me so he can play his Xbox. CLOGGING up the internet JUST to use Photoshop does not seem like a wise decision. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2020 0
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a common misunderstanding. Creative Cloud does not mean it works over the internet, or needs to be connected at all times. The applications work exactly as they always have, on your own machine, saving to your own hard drive.

The cloud aspect just means the license is managed online, with a monthly check to confirm payment. There are some cloud storage options if you want it (most of us don't).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2020 1
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't afford the subscription to Photoshop, or you think you don't use Photoshop enough to justify the cost, there are. alternatives available, such as https://www.gimp.org  which is free.

By the way, you wouldn't be "clogging up the internet" using Photoshop, you download the application from Adobe to your computer and use it in the normal way, the same as any other program on your computer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2020 1
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the extended response.  I do not use anywhere near all of PHOTOSHOP.  I pretty much JUST draw with a black line using the paintbrush at either 5, 10 or 20 pixels.  and use layers for coloring in assembling comic pages.  The SKETCH app claims to work like Photoshop but does NOT.

SINCE I go extended period not drawing at all I am unwilling to pay for a subscription.

Photoshop CS5 has all the features I need.  Its the CRASHING on a Mac OS that is problem. JAVA script had fixed this problem

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2020 0
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the Mac update caused the issue. If you have Time Machine installed for automatic backups, use it to roll back to before the install, then turn off automatic updates.

If you don't want a subscription and you want to keep the updates to your OS, you might try Photoshop Elements.

Start with a free trial to confirm it works, but buy quickly, as it is on sale only through January 4, then it returns to full price. It is not subscription and does quite a bit of what current versions of PS can do. It most likely does more than PS CS5.

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2020 0
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at Krita, a free and open source painting program:

https://krita.org/en/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2020 0
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing to try as far as getting cs5 to work is going to

/Users/UserName/Library/Preferences

and trashing the following

Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings folder

Adobe Photoshop CS5 Paths

com.adobe.Photoshop.plist

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2020 0