I'm not crazy - default scaling of layer effects

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At some point, years ago, I had my preferences set to scale layer effects by default (somehow) when using free transform. It's been like this for me for years and years and years. I know this, because I truly can't remember the last time I had to change a stroke weight after scaling something down. Now, since my most recent update, it's not like that anymore. And when I google it, I feel like I'm being punked. Anyone out here have thoughts on this?

(NOTE: I am aware of "Layer > Layer Styles > Scale Effects", but this opens the percent scale dialog and I'm talking --- I could free transform anything with strokes, shadows, glows, etc. and they scaled with the object.

I feel like I'm losing my mind.

TOPICS
FAQ, How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

I'm not crazy - default scaling of layer effects

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At some point, years ago, I had my preferences set to scale layer effects by default (somehow) when using free transform. It's been like this for me for years and years and years. I know this, because I truly can't remember the last time I had to change a stroke weight after scaling something down. Now, since my most recent update, it's not like that anymore. And when I google it, I feel like I'm being punked. Anyone out here have thoughts on this?

(NOTE: I am aware of "Layer > Layer Styles > Scale Effects", but this opens the percent scale dialog and I'm talking --- I could free transform anything with strokes, shadows, glows, etc. and they scaled with the object.

I feel like I'm losing my mind.

TOPICS
FAQ, How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 22, 2020 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know the Image Size has a Scale Styles when you resample a Document.  I do not believe Free Transform has a scale style option setting.

image.png

Free Transform just has interpolation option

image.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 2
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. It used to be a checkbox in the General preferences, now it's nowhere to be found. 

Scaling anything with effects is now a pain. Either remember the exact percentage you scaled or readjust effects settings manually. 

Why would they change it? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of photoshop had a general preference like that? I do not see it in the versions of Photoshop I have installed on my Window machine.

Untitled-1.jpg

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator yes, in Photoshop, no...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2020 0
Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are remembering Scale Styles in Image Size dialogue. Read this thread https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop_scale_layer_styles on Photoshop family site where one of responders is Chris Cox who was lead developer in Photoshop team for years, he must know wether feature was available or not.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You aren't imaging things. There was a "scale strokes and effects" under preferences, general. Its gone now and I have hunted everywhere and can not find it making it a royal pain to constantly use layer style, scale effects.  Adobe Why ??!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2020 0
Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, there IS a "Scale strokes and effects" in preferences/General, but not in Photoshop, as it is in Illustrator: 

https://www.vectordiary.com/tips-and-tricks/scaling-strokes-effects/#:~:text=This%20can%20be%20found....

It is a case of the Mandela effect : https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/mandela-effect#:~:text=The%20Mandela%20effect%20is%2....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2020 0
Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, you might mix things up: this feature is in Illustrator's preferences, not Photoshop...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2020 0