• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm trying to save a file as a jpg in Photoshop. It ALWAYS saves as PDF.

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny thing happened on the way to the jpg files. I am trying to save a logo I created in Illustrator as a jpg. Brought it into Photoshop. Selected save as jpg. Go to find it in the files and the file and all my jpg files are now pdfs. What gives?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Hi

Your images are blurry and don't improve with zooming in. The first thing to is to show your files extensions, which are hidden,

Control panel > Folder Options > View > Deselect Hide Extensions. Details here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/show-hidden-files-folders-extensions.html

We need to know if the issue is the PDF extension, which is hidden, or the PDF icon. These are two different issues.

~ Jane

45009DB6-CC35-4179-AD6F-889FE364330F.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the extension on the files?

If they are jpg - could it be that your computer is set to open jpgs in Acrobat so it's showing the wrong icon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I select saving as jpg but they always save as pdf. That's the extension. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you bring the Illustrator file into Photoshop?

Please show screen shots of your "Save As" dialog and Layers panel.

Also, since you created the logo in Illustrator, is there a reason you are bringing it into PS to make the jpeg? In Illustrator, choose File > Export As > jpeg

jane-e_0-1620224641380.png

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clarep15183729_0-1620226139960.png

Illustrator - Save As with layer. BTW, why are the AI logos missing above the file names? 

clarep15183729_1-1620226181305.png

Export As… jpg (with obvious weird name)

clarep15183729_2-1620226212065.png

Saved as PDF - not a jpg. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Your images are blurry and don't improve with zooming in. The first thing to is to show your files extensions, which are hidden,

Control panel > Folder Options > View > Deselect Hide Extensions. Details here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/show-hidden-files-folders-extensions.html

We need to know if the issue is the PDF extension, which is hidden, or the PDF icon. These are two different issues.

~ Jane

45009DB6-CC35-4179-AD6F-889FE364330F.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry about the blurry images. I did find a way to deselect hidden extensions (right clicking on properties) as well as a way to globally open file types in the appropriate apps. This was helpful. Thanks for the ideas! I'm able to save jpgs as jpgs and not pdfs and I see the appropriate icons for the file types! Phew!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, and no worries about the images. I could tell the extensions weren't there. Windows has them off by default, but most of us turn them on. I hope you are able to export to jpeg directly from Illustrator now.

One final tip: keep the Illustrator file. Always. It is vector, and if you ever need to make changes to the logo, you need to do it in Illustrator, then export to a new jpeg.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jane. And yes, always keep the original. Unoutlined fonts and all! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, Clare 😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines