• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm wondering if a blur filter can be undone/re-done. I used the Filter-Blur Gallery-Iris Blur

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I applied the filter and got a look that I liked at the time.  However, I would now like to adjust it further.  I can't seem to find a way to get back to the original blur markings that allowed me to adjust the area, intensity and location of the blur. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Ctrl + Z.

Apply your filters to adjustment layers or duplicate layers to save a particular effect's result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You need to convert the layer to a smart object before applying the filter, that way you can make amendments to the filter afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.
So I guess my original filter actions are now permanent since I didn’t convert the layer to a smart object initially.

- Dan

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep I'm afraid so, smart objects are the way to go, I aways use them with filters among other things, one of the best things introduced to Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You used the words "... at the time..." which suggests the file was saved and you Quit Photoshop since then, erasing History. Now, much depends on whether the file was fattened before or when Saving. If that is the case, you cannot remove your blur from the current file. 

All may not be lost, though. If you worked on the file for a sufficient amount of time and you are using a Mac with Time Machine active, you may be able to retrieve an earlier version of the file.      

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I didn’t save the file but I made a number of changes to the photo after adding the blur so the history seemed to be gone. If I’m correct, the history only goes back a limited number of changes.
BTW, I’m on a pc so there’s no time machine option.

- Dan

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FWIW: In Preferences > Performance > History defaults to 50, and its slider maxes out at 1,000

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines