Highlighted

I merged layers and now the new layer is not editable

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to make adjustments, the app will not let me continue with my project. 

I took an arm from a different photo, aligned it to the proper size and them merged it onto another layer so I could play adjust the colouring and blend it to match the other photo. 

Once the layers were merged, I could no longer edit any of the layers on my project.

I've tried to duplicate the layer, however, it did not solve the issue.

Can anyone assist? 

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

I merged layers and now the new layer is not editable

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to make adjustments, the app will not let me continue with my project. 

I took an arm from a different photo, aligned it to the proper size and them merged it onto another layer so I could play adjust the colouring and blend it to match the other photo. 

Once the layers were merged, I could no longer edit any of the layers on my project.

I've tried to duplicate the layer, however, it did not solve the issue.

Can anyone assist? 

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible from before and after merging? 

Why did you merge the Layers at all? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it because there was a dog in front of the subject's arm in one of the photos 

I separated the subject from the background in their own layers

I filled where the dog was

I took an arm from another photo in the same shoot and put it behind the subject so it continued. it lined up properly but there was some colouring issues so I wanted to match it with the layer. In hindsight i likely didn't need to do that, however, the youtube video I watch to learn from told me to do it.

Anyway, I merged the layers and nothing changes. Would it be better to just revert it to two layers? I'd likely need to do that to figure out pertinent Panels before and after, correct?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post sreenshot you are asked so we can see what is or what can be problem. Like this we can only guess why you can't do something that normally we can. If you have merged layer what is problem? What you can not edit? Usually you can edit any layer beside locked and smart object layers which will not allow you for direct edits.

From what I understand you want to edit colors, do you use Hue / saturation non-destructive adjustment layer?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When combining two images with the intention to color correct one of them to more closely resemble the other merging the two layers would be counterproductive. 

As long as the second Layer isindeed a Layer Adjustment Layers can be limited to affect this Layer easily with Clipping Mask or a non-Pass Through Group. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing about merging layers in particular that prevents further editing.

It could be the Tool that you have selected or an open dialog box that you're not seeing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines