• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I still cannot find the shape tool I need. I want to insert an arrow. I tried resetting the shape tools to no avail.

Contributor ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have PS CC 2019. I want to insert an arrow onto a photograph. I cannot get it done. I tried resetting the shape tools menu to no avail. Where the hell is an arrow and what do I click to get there?. You need to stop moving things around. It becomes a nightmare. Fortunately I have other photo editing software programs that are much easier to use and have easy to insert symbols. I am going to cancel my Adobe subscription if the continuing changes to each version are too difficult to navigate.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Ite the Line shape tool with  option set fron the tool option bar.

Or a custom shape

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use your eyes look at the screen that have been posted for you.  see the Custom Shape tool in the tool bar of the left side of Photoshop. The one I highlighted with a Red rectangle.  The look at the Custom Shape Tool Bar across  the top under Photoshop Menu bar.  You should see a Pull down menu to the right of the gear. That should show a the Custom Shape Preset you have loaded or came loaded in Photoshop.  There may be some Arrows and they may be scattered in the selection menu..  There is no standard list of presets.  I can not remember what presets Adobe ships loaded into Photoshop.  I installed Photoshop some 20 years ago.  Adobe's installers migrate your presets when you install a new version of Photoshop.  The Arrows are most likely Adobe for I see a  file Arrows.csh in Adobe Presets\Custom Shapes folder.  They may not be loaded into Photoshop by default I may have loaded them.

pastedImage_0.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, there's a problem with my, let's say, "Custom Shapes Package". It's not in the presets map. I can't get any custom shape sets because of that. How do I get it back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In V21 use Window > Shapes. In that panel if you do not see the old shapes then click at the top right of the panel and in the drop down menu choose "Legacy Shapes"

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I showed you exactly what to do in my post #20. JJ has repeatedly shown you what to do. Why do you keep on doing something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post 23 said I should be using the line tool. So, I have to go to the line tool, then click the shape tool inside that tool menu. Then click to the right of the word Shape which is to the right of the gear icon in the top menu bar. Shape is probably not the best choice of words. It should be Symbols. And the menu bar at the top should have the word, "Insert", then "Symbols".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many online courses and tutorial you can use to learn Photoshop.  All thing are not intuitive on planet earth or in the universe we find ourselves in.  Much is still unknown.  Its you job to educate yourself.  We can only help.  Many of us are not teachers.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try right clicking the shape icon then silecting the arrow shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These shapes are not included in my shapes menu after recent updates. It's super frustrating and even following your advice does not find where they may be stored or accessed. They seem to have dissapeared, and been replaced with a ridiculous selection of ''trees'', ''boats'', ''emoticons'', and other probably useless items. I now have to DRAW an arrow when I had a menu of them previously.

UPDATE: ''Restore Default Shapes" SEEMED to do nothing for several tries, but if you go digging, Arrows are there. FOUR folders into ''Legacy Shapes and More''. Find; Legacy Shapes and More>2019 Shapes>All legacy default shapes>Arrows. This is beyond frustrating and pointless as an update to the program features. Hopefully this comment will help someone simply find what they are looking for without being told they are not following directions properly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this reply it helped me i had the same issue all you get in custom shape dropdown is useless trees and boats.  i followed your advice and i am happy after wasting an hour on this simple thing.

Can your reply be pushed to the top? instead of the ones telling people they are stupid.

thanks again you saved me so much frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 03, 2023 Jun 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have AI integration now, but drawing an arrow in Photoshop is still a nightmare. Why nobody in the dev team ever had the idea just to have the basic shapes ready available in the UI without having to search the internet and forum everytime for tutorials is beyond me. I am using Photoshop since 23 years now and still struggle to draw a simple arrow. Its quirky, hidden and hard to do. I gave up and now use Snagit to draw arrows. Just a lot quicker than to try to find presets in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines