• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I've suddenly been reduced to only being able to save layered documents as .psd .psb and .tiff

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have typically been able to "save as" and get all file options available.   Now in order to save a layered file as a .jpg or .png I have to flatten the image.  The file sizes I'm saving are as low as 2mb.  I am usually able to save layered files as large as 2GB as .jpgs.    I am certain I fat fingered some hot key that changed a setting I can't identify.   

Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.4.1 20210518.r.211 7b18b4f x64

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Hi

Adobe have changed how the Save/Save As works in version 22.4 more info

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html

Not sure what you mean by this "Now in order to save a layered file as a .jpg or .png I have to flatten the image"

JPG and PNG do not support layers

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Adobe have changed how the Save/Save As works in version 22.4 more info

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html

Not sure what you mean by this "Now in order to save a layered file as a .jpg or .png I have to flatten the image"

JPG and PNG do not support layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to be the solution.  It'd be nice if we got a little explanation tab when accessing or being exposed to a new feature.   I didn't even know photoshop had updated....I was just suddenly stuck with an inconvenient hole in my pipeline. 

thank you for the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to disable auto-updates in the Creative Cloud preferences

Screenshot 2020-07-31 at 5.23.44 PM.png

Also you can see what changes/bug fixes and new feature are been introduced in the announcement section at the top of the Photoshop community page

Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have no problem saving image files types BMP, GIF, Jpeg, PSD, EPS, PDF, PNG, Targa and Tiff from layered documents if you install the Image Processor Pro Plug-in.   It can even save versions which is better than "Save a Copy" can do. Its a Plug-in so you can record it in an Action to bypass its dialog by uing the recorded action to pass the setting to Image Processor Pro.

image.png

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. That is why I backtracked my version to where I can It is a workflow killer for me. Once again Adobe has made changes that effect their subscriber base. Great job!

No, I do not want to save a copy, no I do not want o export. I want to save as, when my file has 30 layers, as a JPG (and yes it saves as a flat image). Tired of the Adobe peeps not understanding that this kind of change is something to take serious. Any large volume photo editor will have issues with this (me).

Last I read it was due to Apple garbage iOS. HEY ADOBE, I have a Windows rig that would wipe the floor with almsot every apple heap. How about NOT making it worse for people with better OS?!?!

Sorry just tired of their BS, between this and Premier they always seem to find a way to create more problems than solve them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So use and script or action to use save as. In an action use save as jpeg after a flatten step in the action and then back up in history to recover the document layered state.  The Save As step dialog should be set to open so you can change the save location and the saved file name you want.  You just use an action to facilitate the Save As Jpeg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines