• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustration and Rasterized layers

Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My daughter makes a lot of graphics for me all in PNG format (for the most part).   I place them within templates I make for others.    
IF I were to "Rasterize" her work it can not go larger than the project / template that it is used in.   Is that correct?   

Thank you for your help!!! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Not sure if I understand the question correctly, png is a raster format, hence it cannot be rasterized further.

Would you mind sharing some more details or a screenshot? as it would be helpful for us troubleshoot further.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's say I have a 10x10inch PNG of a sketch. I don't want the people accessing the template to have that 10x10.
I size it to say fit a small area 1x2inch and I don't want someone taking it out of the template and using it any larger.   
Other than saving the template by merging the layers and making the elements in the background layer or a separate layer is there another way to protect the graphics so that they can't go bigger than what is in the template?  
Gosh this is hard to explain.  Sorry. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you place a PNG then rasterlise it you are dropping unwanted information and effectively making a new image... This doesn't protect from resize but the image will look worse when they do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the best still is for me to place the sketch on a png layer along with other design elements (which would be more than one item) sized for that template and that then would protect all of them being on one layer then they can't be extracted and reused. Correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no Photoshop  layer kind  PNG.    PNG Image files have a single raster layer that can contain transparency.  That is a normal Photoshop raster layer.  If you use Photoshop "File Place" feature to place in one of your daughter design into your Photoshop document. Photoshop Place normal operations it to create a  Photoshop Smart Object layer.   This is not a normal Photoshop raster layer.   Place may or may not degrade the design png file while creating the smart object layer.  If the PNG image file has a Print resolution different then your Photoshop's document resolution.  Place will interpolate your PNG image to a different size image and render pixels for the smart object layer's pixels.   If the smart object layer size created is larger than your document  canvas size.  Place may additionally scale the smart Object layer to fit on canvas.   

If you want to insure you have the best pixels for your daughter design instead of using place you can open the PNG file in Photoshop and then duplicate its layer into you open Photoshop document.   You will have a normal raster layer in you document with you daughter design the has not been interpolated or scaled.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not worried about me using her files.    I am worried of others stealing / infringing her work that is placed within a template.   That is the issue.  

THANK YOU for taking such time to be very descriptive within your communication as you answered another thought that I had.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2019 Oct 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. if you include an image in the template then most people will assume the image is part of the template and not something different that they have to steal
  2. there is nothing you can do to that image | template which will stop someone at the other end from stealing the image... yes there are a lot of 'tricks' any Google search will tell you how to undo all of them and get the image you want
  3. enbedded copywright in the metadata is the most common guard against image stealing and the system is a pointless joke that nobody follows. Any image placed on the internet can | will have its metadata removed automatically before a human even sees it... this forum is a prime example of that with copywright illegally removed from any image people post and Adobe is a major player not some kid in their basement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are VERY right. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking something. I truly appreciate your time and knowledge. I am and have been a infringed upon with many images and illustrations. So I am well aware of the process. Thank you again for your kindness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. What is the total size  of your PNG?  I assume this is merely a placeholder image that most people will replace with their own image?
  2. What file type and total size is the Template?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nancy they are many different projects. Some cards 5x7 and other items. No it's not something to be replaced by the purchaser. It's part of the design elements.
The above response gave me what I needed and I am protecting this as best as I can by the responses here.   I just needed to be sure I wasn't over looking something.  

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines