Highlighted

Illustrator and Photoshop cc 2018 space bar shortcut for hand tool not working

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset the preference

did control/alt/cmd and shift keys while i opened illustrator and it still doesn't work.

Does anyone have a solution?

Not really a fix, but I was having the same problem after I updated (I'm on a Mac). Resetting prefs didn't work. Mine started working again when I quit Safari and Chrome whilst Illustrator was open. Which makes me think it's related browsers using the space bar for page down – which other people have mentioned.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator and Photoshop cc 2018 space bar shortcut for hand tool not working

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset the preference

did control/alt/cmd and shift keys while i opened illustrator and it still doesn't work.

Does anyone have a solution?

Not really a fix, but I was having the same problem after I updated (I'm on a Mac). Resetting prefs didn't work. Mine started working again when I quit Safari and Chrome whilst Illustrator was open. Which makes me think it's related browsers using the space bar for page down – which other people have mentioned.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reset your preferences by renaming the preference files:

illustrator:  http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

photoshop:  https://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but it still doesn't work.

It was working until I updated to CC 2018 now it doesn't work version 22

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on mac or windows? Some forum discussions mention windows mouse and touchpad settings causing the spacebar shortcut to stop working,

Spacebar shortcut is not working.

Hand tool (spacebar) isn't working

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a mac

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem since last updated the software the space bar shortcut doesn't work in Ai, Ps and Id but in Xd it works. I have MacOs High Sierra. I haven't found any suggestion that would work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works now. I think they fixed it in the update or could have been that I updated my OS X. I'm on Sierra

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I have been reading pages of related problems, and nothing I tried worked. Your "not a fix" fix worked!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this advice! Been having this bug for years, here I am, in 2020, and still not patched by Adobe. I thought a subscription model was supposed to speed up patches like these but guess not.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone searching for a fix for this bug on Mac os High Sierra 10.13.4.

Usually this starts when you open Safari first than Illustrator, in the moment it stop working, just fully close your safari browser (cmd+Q) and the space bar in illustrator will start working again. If you open safari again it shouldn't be bugging any more.

It would be nice os Adobe check up on this little bug... It’s kinda annoying.

Cheers!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this. I had the same problem and closing Safari fixed it. I'm surprised that Adobe hasn't fixed it yet.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! Its working now!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines