• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image appears alot darker after export from PS

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created an image in PS and exported it 3 different ways but when I've viewed my image out of PS, it's a lot darker to that in PS. I havent had this problem before with my other images. 

Is it a computer issue?

Do I need to do something within PS?

I'm a beginner with PS so your help will be much appreciated.

lickeys-night.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export it with both "Convert to sRGB" and "Embed Color profile" checked. If exporting as png then use Save for Web (legacy) for your export as Export As has a bug with the profile.

Then view it with a color managed viewer/browser (many are not and all bets are off on how they will display your image)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave I made sure 'Convert to sRGB' was selected but not aware of 'Embed Colour Profile' so will check this out.

I exported as PNG using 'save for web' and as a jPeg and PSD file. I have exported a number of ways but get the same with all.

Can you give an example of colour managed viewer/browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you need to view it in a color managed photo viewer/web browser, one that uses your monitor profile to display images correctly on screen.

Very dark images like this will often look much darker without color management. The reason for that is that almost all LCD displays have a very noticeable deep shadow dip in the tone curve - just in the tonal range that makes up most of this image.

A monitor profile will normally account for this, so that in a color managed application, the numbers sent to screen are already corrected for it.  The net result on screen is linear.

An application without color management ignores all icc profiles and just sends the original numbers straight through to the screen. Both document profile and monitor profile are ignored.

Color management isn't just about color. The whole tone response curve is mapped in an icc profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for photo viewers, I don't understand why more people aren't using Bridge. It doubles as file browser too.

Color managed web browsers on Windows are Firefox and Chrome. Don't use Edge or Internet Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for troubleshooting help, I don't know why so many responders have trouble answering the questions asked. You said he needs to view it in a file browser and went on a diatribe about it. Ok, he views it in a file browser, then what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're completely missing the point. Not a file browser; a color managed one. Or photo viewer, web browser, whatever, as long as it's color managed.

The original question has been thoroughly answered and completely explained in this thread. Nothing more to say, really. Read it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything I'm missing is because of poor writing, nothing more. No, I understand "a color managed one." You keep speaking in fragments, which creates confusion. You're missing the point. I understand we need to use a color managed browser to determine the source of the problem. If the image is still darker in areas than it should be, what's the solution? This hasn't been answered and therefore it hasn't been explained thoroughly enough. So, plenty more to say...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, you're right. I was missing the point. I'm sorry. I should have had another cup of coffee this morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It has been answered. The reason is that LCD monitors have a native dip in the tone curve in the shadow values, thus causing dark areas to display darker than they should. The monitor profile accounts for this so that color managed applications compensate for it and display the file correctly.

Image viewers without color management don't display it correctly, because they don't use the monitor profile and therefore don't compensate.

Color management isn't just about color. The whole tone response curve is part of it.

In the case of the original poster here, the whole image seems to be affected. But that's just because the whole image is dark. This is exactly where this shadow dip is.

EDIT: cross-post. That's OK, we all miss things here 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fiona, are you on Mac or Windows?

And what application are you using to view the exported image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows and I just click the file image and it opens in another window, just the gallery within windows. I havent got any specific viewer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing that should not be underestimated is the background color. It affects your perception profoundly. Just look at the image as it appears on top of this page (white background) - versus if you right-click it to see it on a dark background. It's almost like flipping a backlight switch.

The most neutral background is a light gray, similar to the traditional interface color in Photoshop. The new default dark interface is pleasing to the eye - but a big problem with it is that it makes everything look good. It tends to conceal problems like muddy highlights or weak shadows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the gallery within windows

That's the Photos app, and it's not color managed, so stop using it.

As has been suggested, you can use Bridge, which is part of your subscription.

Or, use a third party color managed image viewer, like FastStone, which is free for personal use.

You have to enable color management in Settings, both check boxes must be checked, like below.

Faststone-settings.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I will definitely look at Bridge and check my settings.

Thanks everyone for all your comments and advice 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To use Bridge as a photo viewer, use the Preview pane and enlarge it as much as you like. I have it covering the central part of the screen, with navigation on one side and thumbnails on the other.

Press the spacebar to show the image full-screen, and again to go back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I get stuck I'll be back haha.

Thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm back! So I downloaded bridge and checked a few things in PS when exporting and my image looks a lot better! 🙂

I have another problem tho... I've emailed the image and its lost colour again once email has been received! 

Can you help with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you export it in Save for Web (Legacy ) and did you check both convert to sRGB and Embed Color Profile?

If you did - what is the person who received it viewing it on?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did export as you said above and it was fine viewing on my laptop.

When emailed it was viewed on a phone.

I havent had this problem before when emailing images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emailed image has incorrect appearance?

first make sure it’s in the colour space sRGB and the sRGB profile in embedded. You may need to google that. 

then if it’s still looking wrong you must question how your recipient is viewing the image. Maybe it’s a non - colormanagement application that’s causing the problem. Maybe the screen is either not calibrated or calibrated badly. Maybe it’s just set way too bright?

Imagine I send you a sound file and your volume is set real high? You’re going to tell me it’s too loud, unless you know to reduce volume. In really simple terms the same thing can happen with screen brightness. 

Calibration done, correctly sorts, out screen appearance. 

Neil Barstow

colourmanagement.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did export as you said above and my image was fine when viewing on my laptop.

It was viewed on a phone when emailed.

I havent had this problem before when emailing images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines