Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image changes size when I move it into a new file that is larger canvas size

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I just started experiencing this issue today--never happened before and I don't know what caused it or how to fix it.

I make a design for a greeting card in a file that is 4.5inx6.25in dimensions. Then for printing I make another file that is 8inx10in dimensions, and fit the card design in a rectangle area that is 9inx6.25in since the card will have to be folded. The problem I'm having now is that when I drag the artwork to my print file, it shows up super tiny. It's a fraction of the size it should be. In the attached images, screenshot 1 is my design file, with the image at 4.5x6.25 inches. Screenshot 2 is my file with the canvas at 8x10inches and the rectangle being the whole card I would cut, with a line halfway down to indicate the fold. Here, the artwork I dragged from the file of screenshot 1 is clearly too small given the size I made it at. Screenshot 3 shows roughly the size the artwork should be in. Since I had to resize it myself I'm not sure if it's exactly right but I did my best for the purposes of this post.

Does anyone know what's going on? lol. I've never had this happen before and I don't know what I would have done to cause it. And I have no idea how to google search the issue I'm having. I just really need this fixed because I need to print cards. Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Photoshop is a Pixels editor. Do both the image file and  your document have the same canvas number of Pixels and Print Resolution. If the imags file has a different Print PPI resolution and drag and drop is placing your image in as a Smat Object layer.  Place will scale the image being placed in object.  Be sure your current document and your file has the same Print ppi resolutiom. So the Placed image will not be scaled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

If you are placing image in document then Photoshop will silently adjust print resolution to match document resolution what will cause image scaling. To ensure that you have maximum image pixels without upscaling what can result in blurry image ensure that your image Resolution is matching document resolution (document to which you are placing/draging image).

Here is my video tutorial that may help something https://youtu.be/kDVwH6im_rE

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is a Pixels editor. Do both the image file and  your document have the same canvas number of Pixels and Print Resolution. If the imags file has a different Print PPI resolution and drag and drop is placing your image in as a Smat Object layer.  Place will scale the image being placed in object.  Be sure your current document and your file has the same Print ppi resolutiom. So the Placed image will not be scaled. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are placing image in document then Photoshop will silently adjust print resolution to match document resolution what will cause image scaling. To ensure that you have maximum image pixels without upscaling what can result in blurry image ensure that your image Resolution is matching document resolution (document to which you are placing/draging image).

Here is my video tutorial that may help something https://youtu.be/kDVwH6im_rE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh my gosh, this was totally it! The document I was dragging the artwork from was 300ppi and the one I was putting into was 600ppi. I didn't even think to check the resolution. Thank you so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines