Highlighted

Image enhancement through combination of multiple images [Locked: Blurry License Plate]

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an interesting problem I am working on that is a bit beyond my capabilities in Photoshop. Maybe what I want to do is not possible. I have an mp4 high resolution video of a hit and run accident that occurred in front of my house. The license plate of the offending vehicle is tantalizingly close to being decipherable. However, multiple attempt to enhance the image enough to get a number have been unsuccessful. I can tell that it is a Nevada specialty plate with only four numbers located on the right half of the plate. Zooming in, it appears that there should be enough pixels to form a legible number. I am wondering if there is a way to take multiple frame grabs from the video and overlay multiple images so information from multiple pixels can be combined to enhance the image of the plate. I cut the plate out of 13 frames of the video and have attached six to this message. The vehicle is moving past the camera so each frame has a slightly different perspective of the plate. Not sure how to skew images to match aspect ratios while stacking the images. Not sure how to stack the images so each one shows through the others (transparency) to combine info from each frame. It seems like this should be possible but I have no idea how. Can one of you take a look and see if what I want to do is even possible or am I pi88ing up a rope?

Thanks!

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Mylenium | Most Valuable Participant

Standard disclaimer It's policy on this forum to not interfere with legal or criminal investigations, so you won't get any active help from anyone. That said, looking at your images there's no there there. Even when applying multiresolution techniques this will at best be 30% proof, which is not enough. No investigator is going to go that far out on a limb when there's so much room for interpretation. Of course the car may be recognizable in other ways on the full image, but don't keep your hopes up. As I like to say: This isn't CSI (the TV series).

Mylenium

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

This conversation has been locked.

Image enhancement through combination of multiple images [Locked: Blurry License Plate]

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an interesting problem I am working on that is a bit beyond my capabilities in Photoshop. Maybe what I want to do is not possible. I have an mp4 high resolution video of a hit and run accident that occurred in front of my house. The license plate of the offending vehicle is tantalizingly close to being decipherable. However, multiple attempt to enhance the image enough to get a number have been unsuccessful. I can tell that it is a Nevada specialty plate with only four numbers located on the right half of the plate. Zooming in, it appears that there should be enough pixels to form a legible number. I am wondering if there is a way to take multiple frame grabs from the video and overlay multiple images so information from multiple pixels can be combined to enhance the image of the plate. I cut the plate out of 13 frames of the video and have attached six to this message. The vehicle is moving past the camera so each frame has a slightly different perspective of the plate. Not sure how to skew images to match aspect ratios while stacking the images. Not sure how to stack the images so each one shows through the others (transparency) to combine info from each frame. It seems like this should be possible but I have no idea how. Can one of you take a look and see if what I want to do is even possible or am I pi88ing up a rope?

Thanks!

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Mylenium | Most Valuable Participant

Standard disclaimer It's policy on this forum to not interfere with legal or criminal investigations, so you won't get any active help from anyone. That said, looking at your images there's no there there. Even when applying multiresolution techniques this will at best be 30% proof, which is not enough. No investigator is going to go that far out on a limb when there's so much room for interpretation. Of course the car may be recognizable in other ways on the full image, but don't keep your hopes up. As I like to say: This isn't CSI (the TV series).

Mylenium

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium

Translate

Translate