Exit

Image > Adjustement > Gradient Map, Sample: All Layers not working

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Photoshop people,

I have a huge issue.

I have been trying to use Image > Adjustement > Gradient Map, but the Sample: All Layers and Show Sampling Ring are greyed outr and I am unable to change it.

I can pick up color from color wheel or swatches but not other layers.

Tried re-installing Photoshop, didn't work, tried Performance and ticking the boox for "Use Graphics Processor" it did not work, also checked the layer settings and all is set to RGB/8 and tried several other things. I am running out of ides how to fix it and I really need that to work.

Thank you for your help.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend that you use Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Gradient Map instead. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, yes it's better to wark with layers, in your case layer adjustement. But if all is greyed maybe the layer is always locked, a little padlock on the layer. If yes just click on it to unlock.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adjustment-fill-layers.html#about_adjustment_and_fill_layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thank you for the help, but the layer is not locked, also I prefer not using gradient layers, as the way I showed worked until 3 days ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post meaningful screenshots including all pertinent Panels. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I prefer not using gradient layer«

So you deliberately work more destructively than necessary? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can use Adjustement Layers, but sometimes the Image-> Adjustement was way quicker to do, and thus I am wondering why it does not want to work like before and how to fix it, as it's something I have not found a solution to while browsing the interent.

Would not call it more destructively per se.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you apparently don’t appreciate the meaning of the word »destructive« in the context of image editing.

By applying the adjustment destructively you change the actual Layer data and subsequent changes of the Adjustment would either risk further degredation or necessitate having stored an unedited copy of the Layer (or using the History …). 

Edit: As indicated in a later post the original poster never mentioned whether they apply the Adjustment to a regular pixel Layer or a Smart Object – in the latter case its use would be non-destructive and I would have jumped to the wrong conclusion based on the original post. 

I cannot reprodoce the issue, so please post meaningful screenshots including all pertinent Panels and dialogs (and with the Eyedroper Tool selected). 

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also use camera raw filter and change it to a smart filter. With this only one filter you can do all you want and with the smart filter you can change all you when you want 😉 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/differences-camera-raw-camera-raw.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/how-to/camera-raw-filter.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just realized I might be doing you a considerable disservice as you might be applying the Adjustment to a Smart Object.

Do you apply the Adjustment to a regular pixel Layer or a Smart Object? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines