Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image > Mode (RGB/CMYK) Grayed Out

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2015 Mar 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a print image. It started out as an RGB photo, and then got quite complicated with layers and masks and text etc. Somewhere along the way I seem to have lost the ability to convert this document to CMYK now that I am ready to send it for print. The menu in question is grayed out.

How can I fix this please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

I had this problem when I had my Quickmask turned on. Worth a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

It's probably because your image is saved in the 32 Bits/Channel mode. You need to save it down to 8 Bits/Channel. When you do this you'll see that the CMYK option reappears and isn't greyed out anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know offhand why this is happening, but if you have to get thiis finished,

You can make a copy (Image > Duplicate), flatten it and see if you have a RGB to CMYK option. You would want a flattened copy for printing.

Also make an unflattened copy if you have to quit Photoshop and re-open to see if you get it back.

Another way is Edit > Convert to Profile > CMYK (You would see a warning that some layers would have to be removed)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I would also like to know why this is happening. The document was wholly made in CC at my workplace. If I try to open it in CS6 at home, I get this message:

This document contains unknown data which will be discarded to keep layers editable. To preserve the original appearance instead, choose Flatten to load composite data as a flattened image.

I have no idea what this means. I know that if Photoshop is missing a linked file it will retain its original appearance until I right click > Replace Content on that layer. This is the first time I have encountered this error. Convert to Profile > CMYK flattens the document, but everything looks the same. How do I check if my document is indeed CMYK now?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does the document tab on top indicate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know that the Photoshop default CMYK profile - US Web Coated SWOP - is the right one? Because that's what you get with Image > Mode. You should always check this with your printer.

You can't convert a layered file just like that. The layers may have a different effect, or not mean anything at all, after the conversion. You simply have to flatten when going from one color space to another. Make a copy.

The message you quoted means exactly what it says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem when I had my Quickmask turned on. Worth a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the Quickmask layer in the Cnannel solved this problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes! that is what fixed it for me as well.

thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue just today, 3 years later from this post. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you solve it?

If not the same applies as before: Please supply meaningful information like a screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see how this seemed inconclusive. What I meant with my response was that Prophetben's suggestion about turning off quickmask worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2015 Dec 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue with a file from a coworker.  What worked for me was the same as Pophetben.  The Quickmask is on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably because your image is saved in the 32 Bits/Channel mode. You need to save it down to 8 Bits/Channel. When you do this you'll see that the CMYK option reappears and isn't greyed out anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, this is it. Worked like you said it would. Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi !
Just wanted to reiterate that the solution was the same for me, the Quickmask was on.
When Off it works fine.
Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines