Highlighted

Image loses quality when scaling a pattern fill

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I have a problem with image quality when I make a new pattern fill layer and try to scale down the pattern. The quality shifts massively from 100% to 99%. I have my images in 300ppi and it is only recently that this has been happening. Anyone having a similar issue?

PS. I thought initially it was a graphics card issue but I fixed the graphics problem and it is still the same. I've attached images to show what a difference 1% makes.

Thanks! 

TOPICS
Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Image loses quality when scaling a pattern fill

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I have a problem with image quality when I make a new pattern fill layer and try to scale down the pattern. The quality shifts massively from 100% to 99%. I have my images in 300ppi and it is only recently that this has been happening. Anyone having a similar issue?

PS. I thought initially it was a graphics card issue but I fixed the graphics problem and it is still the same. I've attached images to show what a difference 1% makes.

Thanks! 

TOPICS
Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 19, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi are you pressing alt key to scale it down ?

Ali Sajjad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the pattern fill dialogue box there is an option to change the scale. I make the changes to the % by clicking on the number on the scale tab and scrolling with my mouse. I tried holding down the alt key but it makes no difference. Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, Pattern Fill scaling is pretty worthless. Better results are obtained by converting the Pattern Fill to a Smart Object, and scaling that.

Semaphoric-PLXibM_0-1597846855230.png

The Legacy Optical Squares, at 99%. Top is scaled Pattern Fill, bottom is scaled Smart Object (Bicubic).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This might work. How do you scale the smart object?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just use Free Trnasform. One thing to note is if the SO is scaled down, it will no longer extend to the edges of the doc, so you may want to Edit Contents (via the Layers Panel menu) to resize it so it will fit.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! 🙂 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The apparently »very economic« interpolation method employed for Patterns can produce problematic results for scaling, but even worse for rotation. 

In my opinion it was imprudent to implement rotation for Patterns without first improving the interpolation itself. 

rotatedPatternTestScr.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 1