• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image Processing & Rendering

Engaged ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot with a Sony A7II 24mp & considering purchasing the A7RII 42mp. Here in lies my dilemma, when I process images from my A7II 24 MP 6000 x 4000 in raw my pc handles the adjustments very well, pretty much instantly in Lr & Ps when sliders are adjusted but if I jump to a larger 42 MP 7952x5304 image will I notice a drastic slower / lagging in adjustments when sliders are moved? I would hate to give up my instant adjustments in slider movements & quicker processing time for a bit more mega pixels. I just completed a pc build & pretty much at the top of what it can do without overclocking. Yes I'm sure if I overclocked it could be quicker but at a cost, like it to stay where it is, its quick & handles everything very nicely without shortening the life expectancy of my pc. Here are my pc specs:

Case: Phantek Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750 G2, 750 watts

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI, SATA 6Gb’s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel

CPU: Intel i7-6700K Unlocked

Cooler: Corsair H100i v2

Case Fans: 3 - 140's (Phantek) comes with the case

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1060

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, 32GB’s 2666Mhz, 2x16GB

SSD: Samsung V-NAND SSD 950 PRO M.2 NVM Express, 512GB

I would appreciate any input on this to help me make a decision. Thanks for reading....jp

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try downloading some sample Raw images for that camera and try them on your system

Scroll down page for Raw files:

Sony A7R II Sample Images | PhotographyBLOG

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave, this will be the test for sure. Didn't know where to go for images. Have another issue concerning Ps. When I updated a week ago my subscription to Lr & Ps I now get prompted to update Camera Raw, but when I go to menu it shows its up to date, what do I do here. As of this morning the Box labeled Don't Show Again disappeared. Frankly I'm kind of tired of getting this prompt. Any clues?...Jerry

Lr Screen Shot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jerry

That is a bug that was introduced in the last update (Adobe have acknowledged it)

Just check "Don't show again" the Open anyway and all will work as normal

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As always Thanks Dave....jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That message is a confirmed bug, it will be fixed next update. You did right - just check "don't show again", click "open anyway" and forget it.

As for performance - there has been a continuing story with slow and jerky response in Lightroom, for years. It seems completely random, some get hit and others not. The strange thing is that the higher the machine specs, the greater the apparent risk of slowdowns.

The Lightroom forum has been full of this and there are two or three active threads at all times.

ACR is probably hit as much, but it makes less impact there because it's mainly used for processing single images. A typical Lightroom user has hundreds of images to be processed ASAP, and the biggest slowdowns seem to be switching between images and getting the next frame fully responsive.

Nobody seems to have any idea what causes it. My own theory is that it's the ugly backside of parametric editing. Every single adjustment starts from scratch, and as they pile up, the full pipeline kicks in with every touch of the sliders. The monitor profile gets loaded, the preview is refreshed, stored, corrected for the monitor profile, read back and sent on its way. There's a lot to do.

Why some get hit and others not may be, again according to my own theory, mainly psychology. Some work slowly and deliberately, some fast and furious. Expectations vary. The better machine specs you have, the more you expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As for slow & jerky response in Lr I do get that every now & then when processing real estate images. I just exit out & then go back in, problem solved. I know Lr is great for cataloging images but I read awhile back that to many files inside of one catalog can cause this as well, bogging down speed. I create a new catalog for every address I shoot under that agents name. I don't plan on keeping the images forever, just about 6 months then dump them along with the catalog. It also makes it easy to transfer files, everything goes together. As for my pc & moving forward on a possible purchase of a new camera (A7RII, 42mp) I have to give it some thought & find some images about the same size in Raw & put it through the tests as to see if my pc handles it as fast as it does now with 24mp files or will the larger file sizes slow it down a bit. Thanks for your insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines