Highlighted

Image Resizing Help!!!

New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I am trying to resize a large image into a small little icon without loosing the quality of the picture. The current image size is 650x850 pixels. I need to resize this to be 100x100 pixels but the quality gets really bad. Any way I can resize this while maintaining the quality? I have already tried resizing the image and selecting the reduction option to try and save quality but it has not worked.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Image Resizing Help!!!

New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I am trying to resize a large image into a small little icon without loosing the quality of the picture. The current image size is 650x850 pixels. I need to resize this to be 100x100 pixels but the quality gets really bad. Any way I can resize this while maintaining the quality? I have already tried resizing the image and selecting the reduction option to try and save quality but it has not worked.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not possible.  You can not store a 552,500 pixel image into 10,000 pixel image. You have to create a new 10,000 pixels image with less detail.    If you had $500,000  you could buy just about any Car  you may desire.  If you gave away 490,000 and kept $10,000 you can buy a cheap used car or put a down payment on a new car.

You new image has 1.8% of the number of pixels your 650x850 pixel image has

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you need to crop the image to a square aspect ratio (650 x 650) before you resize it, otherwise it will be distorted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're trying to put 100 pounds of sand into a 1 pound sack.  It won't work. 

Photoshop is a raster image editor and not the right tool for this.  When you resize raster images, they get pixelated (blurry).  And when you reduce pixels, you remove image data. 

For best results, start over in Illustrator or Inkscape to create your vector graphic image and export it to SVG.  The beauty of SVG is that you can rescale the icon up or down to any size required without any loss in quality.  You simply can't do that with raster images (JPG, PNG, GIF) because they are pixel-based, not math-based.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Vector_GraphicsSource: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Vector_Graphics

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines