Image Rotation + Distort + Polar Coordinates. Does it degrade photo?

Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious.

I do alot of Image Rotation at 180 deg + Filter - Distort - Polar Coordinates ; in a photo.

Does it degrade the photo if I do it too many times?

TOPICS
Performance, Windows

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any transform degrades the image, and the effect is cumulative. The only ones you get away with are straight 90 degree rotations.

The way to avoid (most of) it is to work with smart objects. This essentially "wraps" the original and keeps it unaltered, and all subsequent transforms still refer to the unchanged original. This way you can do multiple transforms in succession, and still only have one final transform event when you finally rasterize the smart object.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to convert to smart objects.

Then I do my task above and after rasterize, it looks just as bad like in the check box example.

Can you explain more?

Thank you!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @D Fosse already stated any transformation (with some exceptions like the 90˚ rotations) has an effect. 

The screenshot shows Polar Coordinates applied twice to a checkerboard image; once »Rectangular to Polar« and once »Polar to Rectangular« – the effect is not equally terrible in all areas but it seems noteworthy. Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 09.06.28.png

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I do this is because I am doing drone 360 photo and I like to flip/polar coordinates the photo up to the sky to do the dorm fill nadir at the top.

I do this technique also to remove my tripod by flipping it down. 

Is there any better way to do it without distortion?

Thanks.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines