• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Convert to Video Timeline option missing - Apple M1 devices

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to select anything but "Create Frame Animation" in the Timeline. I am trying to create a Video Timeline, but not using Frame animation. This option isn't in the bottom left or top right of the Timeline menu.

I have tried resetting my preferences, uninstalling and re-installing, creating a new document, and converting all layers to smart objects, and none of those have worked. I have a macbook pro with macOS Big Sur version 11.2.3 with an Apple M1 chip.

Thank you for the help!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.4. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here.

To update Photoshop to 23.4, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 860 Replies 860
860 Comments
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently made a  change to a new Macbook pro with the M1 chip. Upon opening up a project with a video, Photoshop said it needed to relink the video file. I attempted to do that and it gave me an error "Could not complete your request because the footage is not a recognized format." This is the same exact file that was used previously. I thought there may be an error with the video file or the smart layer. So i tried to import or open any video files both in the project and in a new project. When I try to import or open any video, in any project, it shows the video as not selectible at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turns out the M1 version of photoshop does not yet support Export > Render Video

I had to install the previous Intel build of PS to get video export back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course YES: i'm using teb Beta version AND the new version of Photoshop ready for M1... same problem. Someone can open mp4 files with the new version of Photoshop on Apple M!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First attempt at this.  Trying to take a time lapse and turn it into video.  Import seems to work out ok, but video controls show a prohibited sign (circle with slash).  Export does not allow for video render only image sequence.  Thumnail shows very small red question mark.  Have tried this a number of times with same result.  Anyone with suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show the error and if possible the dialog box for rendering the video? Show full screen shots, including layers, if you can get that far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chuck...here they are.Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 2.49.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-05 at 2.49.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-05 at 2.49.45 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t see a circle with slash in the screen shots, but it should be possible to investigate the red circle with a white question mark inside. Open the Properties panel (Windows > Properties) and see what it says when that layer is selected. I’m not sure, but it’s acting like a linked Smart Object with the source file not available at its original location or name. The Properties panel might provide more detail about what’s going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conrad, the circle with the slash is on the layer panel on the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's odd. Can you show the dialog screens where you set up importing the image sequence? I'm trying this and not getting it. I'm getting the render video instead of the image sequence. You are putting all the images into one folder. renaming them with a contiguous file number, selecting just the first image in the open dialog box, and clicking on image sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you goScreen Shot 2021-04-05 at 3.34.48 PM.png

Very hard to see but circle with slash shows up when you hover over video controls.  Question mark is in very bery small and in the timeline image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope this helps.  All I do after this is hit open.  Then get frame rate screen, hit OK and get what you had previously seen.

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 3.51.37 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@donaldb90797007 wrote:

Very hard to see but circle with slash shows up when you hover over video controls.

I believe you, but the circle with slash did not show up in the screen shot as shown below. Only the tool tip displayed. I don’t think that’s your fault — the built-in macOS still screen shot feature often doesn’t capture custom cursors in some applications. When that happens, the only way to capture them is to use the macOS video screen capture option and take a still frame from that.

Anyway, the circle with slash may be related to the question mark: Photoshop can’t proceed probably because of the same problem causing the question mark in the red circle. (Edit: I mentioned trying the Properties panel earlier, but when I import a JPEG image sequence, the resulting video group layer has “No Properties” so it looks like that won’t help.)

@Chuck Uebele wrote:

Conrad, the circle with the slash is on the layer panel on the layer.

No, I enlarged the screen shot of the Layers panel in the image below, and it’s also a question mark (you’ll see the full enlargement if you click to open the image on its own).

Enlarged-red-circles.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks correct. And the next dialog box gives you the options for fps?

Maybe try resetting you preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me on M1 macbook. 😭

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently unable to create any video content in Photoshop. I've looked everywhere, but when I open up the timeline, there is no option to create a video timeline (the lower-left icon is also greyed out), the 'convert to video timeline' action is not visible, and there is no option to render a video for export to .mp4. I haven't seen this issue anywhere on the forums... I've tried restarting and updating Ps, restoring default tools, etc. Any help would be appreciated! Screenshots attached!

Photoshop 2021 | Version 22.3.0

on a MacBook Pro | Mac OS Big Sur | Version 11.2.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. I've downgraded to to release 22.0 and it works again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I need to make a GIF using photoshop and a video but as it turns out, the "Import video frames to layers" option in the new photoshop update seems to be missing. Is this a bug? Or is there another way to import my video into photoshop at the moment?

I'm attaching what I can see when I select "File>Import".Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 4.59.16 AM.png

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's because of the M1 chip. Photoshop recently become M1 native but not all features are working yet, and this I think is one of them.  Refer to this for more info Photoshop for Apple Silicon

I think for this to work you must force Photoshop to open with Rosetta. Later you can switch it back once you're done working with video.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent all day trying to fix the same problem...

I found the answer on Reddit and pasted it below. Worked like a charm!

Cheers

Hello, I was having the issue as well and I did some research. I found that what helped was going on Finder > Applications > Adobe PS > Right click on the Adobe PS app > Get info and under “general” you should see an option to check “Open using Rosetta.” Check it then restart PS and you should see the import video frames to layers option again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with my new M1 Mac pro as well, same version of photoshop. Sad to see multiple threads on this and no solutions yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you found a fix for this? Good to know it's not just me. Come on Adobe, pretty big feature here to just randomly omit from the new version that we PAY FOR. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used Photoshop to export short mp4 videos using the timeline function. Today I tried to export a video and I can only see an option to render an image sequence with no option to render a video.

I am running a Macbook Pro 2021 M1 13 inch. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Screenshot 2021-04-11 at 18.13.51.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Chuck.  Find it was an M1 chip problem.  After staring in Rosetta all was well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you figured out what was causing the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

22.3.1 update and stil not opening video files in m1 native mode

Votes

Translate

Translate