Highlighted

Important Project - Image size is being contested.... which is the real resolution?

Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am on PS CC 2019 on a 1017 iMac Pro.  I am a musician uploading album cover art for online veiwing only.  I scanned a watercolor painting at 600 dpi and that got it started.

The graphic you'll see is square and when I go in PS to the Image menu and choose Image Size, I see it says 3000 x 3000 pixels at 72 dpi.  I exported it as a Jpg with 100% Quality - AND I opened the Jpg again by itself in PS CC just to check and it is still 3000 x 3000 px 72 dpi. 

The folks receiving my cover art are saying it is 480 x 480 px and say they can't accept it.  I tried re-uploading and they still say it comes through as 480 x 480 px. I don't know what to do - I downloaded the Jpg again and opened it in PS to check it.  The Image menu at Image size still says 3000 x 3000 from my viewpoint. 

What am I doing wrong ?? I really need help on this - Thanks So Much for any assistance. 

Frank B.

TOPICS
Import and export, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Important Project - Image size is being contested.... which is the real resolution?

Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am on PS CC 2019 on a 1017 iMac Pro.  I am a musician uploading album cover art for online veiwing only.  I scanned a watercolor painting at 600 dpi and that got it started.

The graphic you'll see is square and when I go in PS to the Image menu and choose Image Size, I see it says 3000 x 3000 pixels at 72 dpi.  I exported it as a Jpg with 100% Quality - AND I opened the Jpg again by itself in PS CC just to check and it is still 3000 x 3000 px 72 dpi. 

The folks receiving my cover art are saying it is 480 x 480 px and say they can't accept it.  I tried re-uploading and they still say it comes through as 480 x 480 px. I don't know what to do - I downloaded the Jpg again and opened it in PS to check it.  The Image menu at Image size still says 3000 x 3000 from my viewpoint. 

What am I doing wrong ?? I really need help on this - Thanks So Much for any assistance. 

Frank B.

TOPICS
Import and export, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 03, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the exact and complete requirement the printers provided? 

How did you send the image? Via Mail? If so try zipping it first, some mail applications can resample embedded images. 

3000px at 300ppi corresponds to 254mm – is that indeed enough? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding c_pfaffenbichler. I mentioned that this image is for online viewing only.  It's the album art you see for an artist on iTunes. 

I actually go into the company's website interface and upload the file (art)  directly to them. 

New effort: I got the image to 3000 x 3000 300 dpi. and I tried sending that just now and I am waiting if that will do the trick. 

If that does not work, I'll try zipping it. Thanks for helping !! I am still open to ideas. Thanks !!!

Frank B.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 1
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the website have a list of technical requirements for the provided artwork? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ppi doesnt matter here. Pixel size is the issue. As long as it remains 3000 px square, the file hasn't changed. The ppi value is moot and irrelevant for screen/online - it's strictly a print parameter.

c.p. has the answer. Your mail application is resampling. Find a different way to send it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed it to 3000 x 3000, 300 dpi and they accepted it. Apparently the 300 dpi was the change needed....This company isn't communicating well...for all I know, they arre actually using this for my print version.  Covid really hurts communication these days....

Many Thanks for your replies. Frank B.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
D Fosse LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me it sounds like they don't really know what they're doing. Take what they say with a pinch of salt.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 1