Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing image sequences no longer possible with RAW image files

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've just noticed that the option to import RAW image files (.RW2, .CR2, CR3 etc) as an image sequence is no longer possible. Can this be reinstated? Photoshop used to be able to do this, which allows us to use it as a video rendering device for example for timelapse sequences.

Thanks,

Matt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Can this be reinstated?«

This is a user Forum, so you are not really addressing Adobe here – in case you expect an official reply. 

You could post a Report over on 

Photoshop Family

In the meantime you may have to convert the images in bulk. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops, my bad! Seems like I might be misremembering the functionality for RAW photos..

Bulk processing is indeed the way to go then.

Will post it as a suggestion in the PS Family instead.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When were you able to open an image sequence of Raw Files as a video? Here I show CS6 when I try to open an Image Sequence of RAW file the Image Sequence check box is Grayed out so it can not be used.  I was able to open the RAW file and save out Jpeg files then close the CR2 documents in Photoshop.  After that I was the able to use File>Open on the folder  I saved  the jpeg  files select the first image and check Image Sequence  The Frame rate dialog opened I accepetd 1 FPS and the video was opened. I was able to resize the video and save  out animated Gif. CS6 and PS 2021 version 22.2 seem to behave the same way to me.  CS3 Does not have an Image Sequence check box  and I do not have CS5 installed and I skiped the CS4 upgrade.

Capture.jpgImageSeq.gif

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm maybe I am misremembering how it used to work, thanks for providing those images.

Working in bulk is definitely an option, but it would be easier if PS can just import a RAW photo sequence.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be able to script the Process.  The Image Processor Pro is a Plug-In script that can be recorded in an actions the Script will record the setting you used in the script dialog recording the Action step  into the Action step.  The Action Players will pass the recorded setting to the script when the step is played so the script will bypass displaying its dialog and use what the action Pass the script via a message. So a script could easily pass IPP a message.  The Image Processor Script can process a batch of RAW files to Image Files into some output folder. Then Photoshop can Open Image sequence in that folder as a  video.  Even if  you do not know how to Script Photoshop you cans semi automate the process with an action that has two interactive steps.  Even  the scripted process would require interaction to target the source RAW files. An Action would require two interactions.   The first one  like the Script to target the source RAW Sequence files. The second interaction  Action would need to have would be used to  target the image sequence.  Basically a two step action.

Step 1  menu File>Automate>Image Processor Pro... (fill in Dialog) run

Step 2 menu File>Open...  (Fill in Dialog) open

Both of the steps would need to have their step's dialog turned on in the step.   In Step one you could have used Menu File>Scripts>Image Processor...  that step would be interactive its not a plug-in script  and you would need to fill in more then you would  you would have to if you had used Image Processor Pro.   With Image Processor Pro you would have recorded the Source location, the output location and the image file type to save.  These would displayed when the Step open its dialog. All you would need to do is change RAW Files source location.  With the Image Processor Script you will need to set all the dialogs settings.  The Open Step's Dialog needs to open so you can target the first file in the sequence and check the Image sequence check box.  You will also need to navigate the folder containing the image sequences if it in a different location then recorder into the file open step.

PS. New PS versions do no longer record Image Processor Pro steps correctly.....

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This action worked for me in PS 2021 version 22.2  However I recorded the Image Processor Pro step in CS6 so it would work in PS 2021.  You can download the action here  RawImageSequence.atn  you will not see any Image Processor Pro step in the Action.  It records like the action step is empty.  Its not and it works in PS 22.2 if you have install Image Processor Plug-in into your Photoshop install.

image.png

The empty step above the Open step is an Image Processor Pro Step and you can see I have turned on bot step's dialog.  So both Dialogs will open and you need to set the Source Folder for your RAW files image sequence in the Image Processor Step.  In the Open Step you need to target the first image in the sequence and  check the Image Sequence check box.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines