• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Impossible to Disable "Save as Copy" in Photoshop [locked]

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This thread is now locked as it is from 2018 and is now drawing comments from the changes three years later in 22.4.1 and 22.4.2, which are unrelated to this thread. Please start a new thread or join one related to the current issue.]

Hello,

I am unable to uncheck "save as copy" in the save as box for good. Every time I do the save as command it is constantly checked. I haven't found any ways to disable this from the preferences. I am using the latest updates in Windows 10 and Photoshop CC. Looking forward to your help, thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Hi

Now that you have given further information - that does not look normal. Opening a PSD and using Save As - should not result in the Save as Copy being checked (the Save as Type options shown as PSD,PDD and PSDT, in your screenshot,  is normal*).

When Photoshop starts behaving abnormally , it is worth resetting Preferences. These include more than just the user preferences and are saved every time Photoshop closes - so can become corrupt. To reset - go to Preferences > General > Reset Preference

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

I just resolved the problem myself.

When I did the save as command via the panel menu"File / Save as", there was no problem.

Then I checked the shortcuts that have been created for "save as" and there are two of them :

SHIFT+CTRL+S (this is made for the "normal save as")

ALT+CTRL+S (this is made for the "save as copy")

So by deleting or just by not using ALT+CTRL+S command the problem is solved.

This command cannot be changed to anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open a file that does not support layers then you add layers and try to save in the same format Save as Copy will be checked. The only way round it is to use Layer>Flatten Image first.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ...

But this sounds pretty unsatisfying and appalling for the workflow !

I used to work with Mac for a decade and I never had this kind of issue !

Why such a simple thing cannot be fixed for Windows 10 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I am ONLY using PSD files that should support layers !

Also I have a friend that is also using Photosho CC 2018 with Windows 10 and he doesn't have this problem !

When I want to save a PSD file with the "save as command" I can see two other file formats "PDD" and "PSDT" in the same row, please see the preview attached.

Are these file formats those that do not support layers ? Can I disable them from the "save as command" ?Save-as-command-problem.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Now that you have given further information - that does not look normal. Opening a PSD and using Save As - should not result in the Save as Copy being checked (the Save as Type options shown as PSD,PDD and PSDT, in your screenshot,  is normal*).

When Photoshop starts behaving abnormally , it is worth resetting Preferences. These include more than just the user preferences and are saved every time Photoshop closes - so can become corrupt. To reset - go to Preferences > General > Reset Preferences on Quit and then close and restart Photoshop.

* PSD is the normal Photoshop document format, and PSDT is for saving a template document.PDD is an older filetype from PhotoDeluxe little used these days

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just resetted all my preferences and the problem is still the same ! 😞

What to do next...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

save-as-problem.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just resolved the problem myself.

When I did the save as command via the panel menu"File / Save as", there was no problem.

Then I checked the shortcuts that have been created for "save as" and there are two of them :

SHIFT+CTRL+S (this is made for the "normal save as")

ALT+CTRL+S (this is made for the "save as copy")

So by deleting or just by not using ALT+CTRL+S command the problem is solved.

This command cannot be changed to anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

God bless you, man 🙏🤦‍:male_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear davescm,

Would you have a solution for another problem I am facing at the moment.

I have already posted it to this forum ...

I am facing many issues concerning the brush size shortcut. I am using Windows 10 and with Wacom Intuos Pro.

I used to work with Mac and I was able to increase/decrease brush size and hardness with a simple shortcut ALT + dragging the pen right/left or up/down.

On Windows 10 this seems possible only by creating a shortcut for the Wacom pen (CTRL+ALT+RIGHT CLICK) in the Wacom Desktop Center's pen settings.

However, despite adapting to this, I am STILL unable to change the brush size when using filters such as Liquify as well and Camera Raw etc.

I am really looking forward to your help.

Thank you in advance,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found over time that uninstalling and reinstalling the Wacom drivers address most issues, especially after operating system or program updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

Might sound silly but how shall I uninstall my Wacom Intuos Pro completely without having any system errors and so on ?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've not been able to get that Alt shortcut working with the Wacom here on Windows - (although it works with the mouse ). To be honest I just use the [ and ] keys for size and the number keys for opacity, but I understand that may not be convenient for all.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same [removed]! It always worked with Save As (Ctrl+Shift+S), now it's making a copy every time. Why fix something that works good already? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, super frustrating. It does it for me for practically any file format I try to overwrite, and it did not used to that. I have to batch files, usually a dozen at a time or more - and any time there's a change to one, there's a change to all... which means counterintuitively deleting the file with the original name, and then renaming every single file with "copy" in the file name. It's a huge waste of time, causes errors, breaks links, and disrupts a busy workflow where every minute is budgeted. Please fix this already, Adobe. With the exorbitant amount you charge us monthly to use your software, this kind of inaction is infuriating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, horrible problem. Can't fix it either.:/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - same thing here - our entire workflow is impacted and broken... So just how does one update an AE and PR source file which is the integrated flow? ... When you go to update a base .PNG file, and it always wants to make a "copy" .. Therefore, all the real time linking / updating are BROKEN.

$80 / month = ci.

ADOBE = UNUSABLE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still happening here - affecting all users of Photoshop in our office. I'm sure Adobe will fix this immediately and issue a refund of some sort for the workflow interruption and headaches. Then they will lower the subscription price to something reasonable. I mean, that's something a company that cares about its clients would do, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conmplete garbage, I feel like Adobe is being ran by Facebook comments. Ruining real paying users workflow.....SMH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick reality check. This has nothing to do with Facebook. The recent issues on Macs and the changes made in Macs and Windows versions were driven by changes in the Mac operating system since Catalina. The APIs that allowed Adobe to choose copy , or not, during the save function were withdrawn by Apple. You can read about it here:

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/

As a result Adobe had no choice but to change Photoshop's Save As/Save a Copy functions. So now, if your file contains items that are not preserved in your required format (e.g. layers, transparency, hidden pixels, or 16 bits/channel) then that file format appears to the Save a Copy command. Only formats that will preserve all the current content of your document appear in Save As.

As stated above, this was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep them aligned. Parity of the two platforms is paramount to organisations that use both platforms, and to developers of plug ins and actions.
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reality check Dave. If you're unable to understand the humor of the first part of comment, then you my friend need help. I was making light of the disparity between program updates and the professionals that use them every day to make money. There is a major disconnect between development updates and core users.

In response to your platform argument:
Cute, but making those changes like all the other ridiculous changes that have been made recently should have options to be disabled for windows users. Now every time I want to save a jpeg, png, flattened tiff I have to remove the word “copy”, this is a waste of time and productivity. Explain why after 30 years we changed the scaling function "Shift" the has always been default for proportion locking. Furthermore, I'm not really interested in listening too parity between the operating systems when you can't even get Photoshop and Illustrator to mirror each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't forget I am a core user who uses the software every day, not an employee. I don't need 'help', so keep it civil. 

Parity of shortcuts between Adobe apps is an issue, on that I agree. But parity in the same application, may not be important to you, but it is important to many of us.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The changes made to the saving behaviour are so strange. I switched the shortcuts, so "save as copy" is now accessible with CTRL + Shift + S, but is it possible to remove the word copy after the save? I just want so save my psd-project as a jpg file and don't want to always delete the word "copy" at the end. It's hillarious that this bothers only a few people so far. I'm raging everytime I use Photoshop since the last update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the same thing that you did and I'm right there with you, IWOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@IWOS wrote:

but is it possible to remove the word copy after the save?

Yes, it's possible in the update to 22.4.2. You can revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy

See this help page for details and cautions:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html  

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines