• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

in photoshop CC 2014 where did the oil paint filter go? it is the filter i need for almost every photo

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find the oil paint filter anymore in the recent version, it is not hidden in the paint galleries. I hope that Adobe did include it otherwise i cant use the updates anymore....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Hello, it is not available anymore in CC(2014) hence why it is installed side by side to CC.

The info was posted a few months ago: http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2014/04/photoshop-spring-cleaning.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 104 Replies 104
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, it is not available anymore in CC(2014) hence why it is installed side by side to CC.

The info was posted a few months ago: http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2014/04/photoshop-spring-cleaning.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you describe what you did with it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Pierre. Too bad that they did a major downgrading on Photoshop CC 2014...

I used it to calm down the appearance of the pictures. At the end of editing, i make 2 copies. One will be way oversharped, either with highpass or sharpening tool, the other will be oil painted. The oilpaint with all settings to 0 except the first 2 options to 9 or 10. then reduce the opacity of the oil effect until it meets the taste. Usually down to 50%. Details come back due to the oversharpening and it gets a wonderful calm tone. I use it for portraits and landscape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too use the Oil Paint filter for creating digital "paintings". I just took a course on Adobe Creative Live, "Painting with Photoshop" by Jack Davis. In this course the Oil Paint filter is used in ALL of his actions to create your paintings! Please bring it back to PS CC 2014!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 20, 2014 Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unreal!  So I'm supposed to have side-by-side photoshops taking up space on my computer?  That's ridiculous.  PS is already behind the times with their filters.  Why get rid of oil paint???? *throws up hands*

Laura Macky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2014 Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2014 Oil Paint FREE alternative(Windows only)

http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=926714

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 21, 2014 Jun 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac. 

Laura Macky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the https://yande.re/forum/show/2007?page=1

Petopeto has also provided the source code, maybe someone can port to OSX...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh dear....I have this fear I will not understand the answer Pictus.  Unless it's like "copy and paste this here" I'm a bit lost lol.  I just don't get why PS takes things away.  Why on earth would they do that?

Laura Macky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the point of using two versions of PS? I don't want to run PS CC, just to use the oil paint filter, I want to use it in PS CC 2014.

What's next? CC 2015, CC 2016.... And all versions with different features? That's ridiculous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I total agree.....I use it ALL the time. I have 25 Actions for it!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oil paint filter was the one I used the most. Paying my CC membership over $850CAD a year, saying I'm very disapointed is an understatement and I'm seriously considering other options..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious...

Of those of you who have been using Oil Paint, are you just using it for the anisotropic blurring (e.g., smoothing of hair/edges)?  In other words, are you just setting the bottom 4 sliders to the lowest settings?  And have you always been adjusting the result with Curves, setting the white point to 240?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use it for making backgrounds and giving my photos a painterly look. I have 25 Actions set up that I use!!! What was the reasoning for removing ???? I am sooooooooo mad...now I will have to keep the old version on my computer just for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel, you described exactly what and how i used the oil paint filter and I always had to adjust the curves to taste. Is there any workaround to achieve that anisotropic blurring in another way? Frankly I did not know how to call what I did....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's some potential in the Greycstoration plug-in listed at the link above posted by Pictus 171, but the interface is geeky and clunky to use.  It may be that you use only one set of parameters every time, and you can struggle through picking a set that gives mostly the same effect as Oil Paint.  And the good news is that it doesn't darken the image.  It's a PC-only plug-in.

I'm considering creating a professional plug-in that provides the essential smoothing function with a fully-featured UI so it's easy to use.  Unfortunately for Mac users I'm only set up to build plug-ins for PC as well.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to be kidding... I used this all the time, I pay enough not to have the features taken away.... Please bring it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am another user that is furious Oil Paint is gone in the latest version. Many of your users, Adobe, do use that filter and may even regard it as one of their most important tools depending upon the work required. Bring it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too, was shocked and dismayed to see the oil paint filter gone in 2014.  Only recently discovered it in the original cc, and it quickly became a priceless tool in a ongoing portion of my routine processing.  Used it much in the same way as the others here, and it's become irreplaceable.  I don't, however, have a problem with keeping the original PS CC on my machine and using it to do my processing specifically when I need the OP effect.  I feel inconvenienced, but can live with it until, of course, they put it back into a subsequent update.

You ARE going to put it back aren't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You ARE going to put it back aren't you?

Won't happen.

You'll have to use the just-released 3rd party filter.

Photoshop: Spring Cleaning | PHOTOSHOP.COM BLOG

"Oil Paint is a very cool filter, but relied on a very large and complex code library used for an outdated technology (Pixel Bender) that is no longer supported.

Update/note: It looks like a 3rd party has released a full PixelBender-esque plug-in that will work in CC. Haven’t tried it myself, but may interest those who liked Oil Paint and PixelBender: http://aescripts.com/pixel-bender-accelerator-for-photoshop/"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No they are not bringing it back.

Laura Macky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2014 Jul 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I coloring comics and the oil painting filter is great to make a photo texture and make it look more “drawn” and fit better into the comic.

So right now I use CC 14.2 instead of CC 2014

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2014 Jul 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your situation is one of the main reasons Adobe didn’t replace PS CC with PS CC 2014. The oil painting filter is gone, but someone else wrote something similar:

https://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2014/04/photoshop-spring-cleaning.html#oilpaint

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2014 Jul 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just looking for missing filters in Photoshop CC and I was able to get them back by changing the preferences.  Go to Preferences—Plug-Ins, and make sure "Show all Filter Gallery groups and names" is checked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines