• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

in photoshop CC 2014 where did the oil paint filter go? it is the filter i need for almost every photo

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find the oil paint filter anymore in the recent version, it is not hidden in the paint galleries. I hope that Adobe did include it otherwise i cant use the updates anymore....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Hello, it is not available anymore in CC(2014) hence why it is installed side by side to CC.

The info was posted a few months ago: http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2014/04/photoshop-spring-cleaning.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 104 Replies 104
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2014 Jul 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but that doesn't cover the Oil Paint filter, which has truly been removed.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad.   I was actually looking for the Halftone filter and some others I use a lot, and changing the preferences to "Show all Filter Gallery groups and names" brought that and a bunch of others back for me.  I saw one called Oil Paint so I figured that's what everyone was looking for

Screen Shot 2014-07-10 at 2.52.55 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, it's nice that you're helping here (we need more like you who post useful things and answer questions).

However, if you're seeing Oil Paint, then you're not running Photoshop CC 2014.

Choose Help - System Info.  You should see 2014.0.

SystemInfoPs2014.png

If you see 14.2.1 you're running Photoshop CC from last year, and you'll need to go to your Creative Cloud application and install the new one.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh man you're absolutely right, I haven't updated to CC 2014 yet.  I saw that you can't save down After Effects projects to CS 6 from CC 2014 that's why I held off.  I'm still clearly not used to the fact that there is another version of CC available that people are using   Thanks for clearing that up, Noel! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries.  This stuff is complex to keep track of!

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just on chat with Adobe. Upon downloading CC2015 the filter gallery and oil paint were gone.

I was told that oil paint was history, and that if I wished to use it I should download CS6 or some

earlier version.

As to the filter gallery, which I seldom used, but like the option of having, I was told to go to images>mode.

and to change from 16 bits / channel to 8 bits / channel.

I was told this would not affect anything.

So I did the switch and the filter gallery is now available.

But what I WANT is oil paint back !!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2014 Jul 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used this all the time too! Not so much for oil painting effect but to slightly add to rocks, grass, trees, etc... to make them pop a bit, give them texture or even just to add some texture to remove noise. I can use topaz labs clean which i usually as they "kinda" can do the same thing yet they're different.... weird to see why they'd take this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2014 Jul 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Baffled! I was just looking for this feature, as I used to use it also. So I need to downgrade to continue using Oil Paint? That's ludicrous. Come on! Please put it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2014 Aug 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply Pierre Courtejoie. This is very frustrating from an end-user point of view. That tool was a new asset to Photoshop and filled a niche that wasn't filled before. I just found this out now, after having upgraded to CC 2014 at work. It has thrown my workflow off and has eroded my confidence in Photoshop a small amount. I'm not happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2014 Aug 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi hope this is just a bad april fools joke... Oil painter is something I really like, as well as a lot of my friends.  I haven't updated yet, but maybe I should hold off.  Adobe please tell me you will bring this back?  You seem to be removing all the features I really like... variations, gone.  Oil painter, gone.  Maybe 2015 the blending modes or paintbrush will be removed as well?  Lets hope not...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 23, 2014 Aug 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heard the reason it is gone is because Oil Paint required flash and the new Photoshop CC 2014 is not supporting flash.  That's the reason it only works on the old photoshop.

Laura Macky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite.  The concept for why it's being eliminated is related, but as I understand it the Oil Paint filter relied on a big subsystem called "Pixel Bender" technology.  It was early work to get Photoshop to use GPU acceleration, and it's been superseded by newer "Mercury Graphics Engine" technology in Photoshop.  The entire Pixel Bender subsystem, which is apparently much more substantial than just what's needed by the one filter, didn't end up fitting in Adobe's plans for where they're taking Photoshop, and would have been too expensive to continue to maintain for one filter only.

That being said, I personally would have really liked to see the Oil Paint filter re-implemented using the new Mercury Graphics Engine - or even using just the CPU (on the assumption that having a slower version would be better than not having any at all).

I'm sure it was a difficult business decision, because they know that there are people like us who had grown to like and use the Oil Paint filter.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didnt the Pixel Blender use flash?  Someone in another thread said this but it doesn't really matter...it's gone.  I can imagine it affects some people's workflow drastically.  I'm glad I did t use it that much.

Laura Macky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's "Bender", not "Blender", and no, I don't believe it relied on Flash.  More likely the other way around.

Here's something that might help with understanding:  Pixel Bender basics for Flash | Adobe Developer Connection

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh well c'est la vie...people will get over it just like we always do.

Laura Macky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2014 Sep 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, this filter was not entirely, but a key factor for my reason of upgrading from CS5.5... So Oil paint leaves after two iterations?

I too, hope a CPU or new graphics engine version is introduced. It seems it would be greatly received...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oil painter was from Pixel Bender this may pain the picture for you.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am aware of that, and also why Adobe removed it in CC 2014 (which is completely understandable). What I am saying is that there are many people who clearly would appreciate it's return in some capacity and it would be wonderful if it could be re-introduced without having to have to versions of PS installed alongside each other... just for the benefit of one filter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given how quickly Adobe pulled the feature and how Adobe abandoned  Pixel Bender IMO it not likely to happen. Its something a painter program should implement.  Adobe is focus on the web not on art....

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't read this can you send the link? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2014 Sep 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just display the images in a new tab or browser window its the jive html on this site that scaling them making the unreadable. They are very readable.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2014 Sep 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who wouldn't think to try clicking on the picture?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2014 Sep 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

Who wouldn't think to try clicking on the picture?

-Noel

You have to right click on the image then open it in a new browser tab or window.  Double clicking the image just get the image scaled poorly in a pop up window that can only be dismissed. Where in a new window or tab you can have the browser display the actual image pixels.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2014 Sep 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the full image, but I guess that's because I have a lot of desktop space. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2014 Sep 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You always see the full image but I only see the actual full image size when I open the link in a new tab or browser window.  This jive site scale the image down in size in its non size-able pop-up window.  If the image is large the pop-up window is unreadable. And the embedded image in the append is blurry and can not be read the way the scale it.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines