Highlighted

Inconsistent and imprecise scaling when rescaling multiple smart objects to a fixed value.

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Here is my issue...

I select multiple smart objects in Photoshop 21.2.3 CC on MAc. I then transform them by entering the value 140%. The proportions are fixed with the chain icon being active. Once transformed, when I check the value of the resulting scalings, all smart object are scaled differently and non-proportionnaly. I need very precise transformations so all smart objects are at 140.00% W & H.

What is causing this ?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Bug, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Inconsistent and imprecise scaling when rescaling multiple smart objects to a fixed value.

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Here is my issue...

I select multiple smart objects in Photoshop 21.2.3 CC on MAc. I then transform them by entering the value 140%. The proportions are fixed with the chain icon being active. Once transformed, when I check the value of the resulting scalings, all smart object are scaled differently and non-proportionnaly. I need very precise transformations so all smart objects are at 140.00% W & H.

What is causing this ?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Bug, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 16, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All smart object layer  have a current object transform the the layer use of the object.   You have to set the transform to transform the smart object  relative to its size,  not relative the the current transform layer sized the layer transformed layer bounds may not be the smart object  size. it may also have bee transform to be compatible with AI.  Place does some strange scaling based the object file print resolution compared to the current document print resolution.   In A script you probably need to transform the layer to 100% width  and height to get the bounds of the smart object then transform the 100% smart object sized layer  scaled to the size you want.  Rescaling smart object layer is complex and  vector Smart object (Placed .AI and .svg file) object work different then supported image files, converted layers and raw image files.  

How were the smart object layer your transforming created? How is the object currently being transformed and warped?

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These images are 3D renders representing steps of evolving constructions. We use the smart object process because we align all those images to create a sort of animated sequence. It helps us correct the images when needed after validation of the sequence while preserving alignement (as the image inside the smart object remained at the original size and can thus be easily replaced by the new render), and keeps a record of the various scaling that were needed for successive images inside the sequence in the cases we need to replace a part of the sequence with a new stack (that will need to be precisely rescaled to scale we used). So to answer your question, these images are loaded as stack and all layers transformed individually to smart object using a script after the stack is created. No distortion is present until we rescale a selection of layers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2020 0
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart object layers have existing objects transform that is scaling the object for how the layer is using the object.  It may also be warping the object. This  existing transform/warp is not changed when a smart object layer's content is replaced. You need to transform the object for how you not want to scale it.  You are not scaling the smart object  layer pixels  when you change the smart object layer object transform.  You are going to be scaling the pixels rendered for the replaced object and hardened by Photoshop for the smart objects layers pixels content.  You are not scaling what was the smart object layer pixels bounds. The object bounds can be very different they are not the same  bounds the object has normally. How are you calculating what percentage to scale the object for your use in the the document.  The transform needs to be a constrain transform  where width and height are transformed by the same percentage so there is no distortion added by the transform. 

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2020 0
JJMack LATEST
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You most likely do not know how Adobe implemented Smart Object layers exactly. See if you understand what is what in the following screen captures. Many users will be stumped.  It took me quite sometime to understand what Adobe does processing smart object layers.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2020 0