I have a PSD file that is monochrome, and has 5 layers as follows:

[top]
1. First image layer
2. Brightness/contrast 2 clipped to layer below
3. Second image layer
4. Brightness/contrast 1 clipped to layer below
5. Third image layer
[bottom]

What I'm trying to do is to export two JPG images, one with layer 5 hidden and one with layer 3 hidden. The blending mode is set to "darken" for all layers, and the adjustment layers are set so that the layers to which they are applied are brighter than the top layer apart from a specific item in each. If I toggle the visibility of layer 3 (which results in the visibility button for layer 2 going grey), then I see on the screen the image that I want, but when I select file->export as, it is clear from the export preview that the wrong adjustments have been applied to layer 5. If I toggle the visibility of both layers 2 and 3, then what I see on the screen is the same, but what I see in the export preview is now correct. Alternatively, if I create a new layer on top and then do "stamp visible" (with just layer 3 hidden), then again everything is correct. So it seems to me that "export as" is handling the adjustment layers wrongly. Has anyone else seen this, please, and would Adobe like to comment on whether it is a bug? I'm using Photoshop 22.0.1 on Windows 10 64bit, and get the same behaviour on two different PCs with different user settings files.

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Incorrect behaviour on "export as"

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PSD file that is monochrome, and has 5 layers as follows:

[top]
1. First image layer
2. Brightness/contrast 2 clipped to layer below
3. Second image layer
4. Brightness/contrast 1 clipped to layer below
5. Third image layer
[bottom]

What I'm trying to do is to export two JPG images, one with layer 5 hidden and one with layer 3 hidden. The blending mode is set to "darken" for all layers, and the adjustment layers are set so that the layers to which they are applied are brighter than the top layer apart from a specific item in each. If I toggle the visibility of layer 3 (which results in the visibility button for layer 2 going grey), then I see on the screen the image that I want, but when I select file->export as, it is clear from the export preview that the wrong adjustments have been applied to layer 5. If I toggle the visibility of both layers 2 and 3, then what I see on the screen is the same, but what I see in the export preview is now correct. Alternatively, if I create a new layer on top and then do "stamp visible" (with just layer 3 hidden), then again everything is correct. So it seems to me that "export as" is handling the adjustment layers wrongly. Has anyone else seen this, please, and would Adobe like to comment on whether it is a bug? I'm using Photoshop 22.0.1 on Windows 10 64bit, and get the same behaviour on two different PCs with different user settings files.

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I misunderstand, but it seems to me you have the layer stack upside down? The one you call "1. First image layer" is on top, with no adjustment layers clipped to it, and it will hide everything else as long as it's visible.

Please post a screenshot of your layers panel. Don't attach, just insert it in the post.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the layer stack is as I said. If the blending mode was "normal" then you're correct that the top layer would hide the others, but not when it is set to "darken" (provided of course that the lower layers have some darker content).

Clipboard01.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2020 0