• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Incorrect text character being displayed

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing a strange behavior that I can't explain.  When typing text, if I type an apostrophe (') a greater than sign (>) appears instead.  If I type (>), the screen displays (>), just like it should.  It does this for every font.  If I go to Type==>Panels==>Glyphs and double-click on ('), I get the same behavior.

Two things of note:

1. I have PS running on two machines and this occurs on only one of them, so I'm ruling out a software bug in PS.

2. If I do the same test in Word or Excel, the problem does not exist.

I'm guessing there is some sort of character mapping algorithm that is messed up, but I can't find a reference to such a function.

Ideas (short of uninstall/re-install)?

Oh, BTW, my environment is: latest version of PS CC running on Win10 Pro.

--Ernie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

In Edit>Prefrences>type disable smart Quotes.
I had the same problem and this solved for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

In Photoshop, go to: Preferences > Type, and untick “Use Smart Quotes”.

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 2.03.00 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset Type Tool  First select the Type Tool and right-click on its icon at the top.

Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 12.39.07 AM.png

and Reset Character Panel

Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 11.25.37 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your keyboard input language settings. Sometimes it changes for no apparent reason, and then you may get some incorrect characters like you describe. Happens to me occasionally, and then a quick glance at the taskbar reveals the problem.

language.png

Unless you have an all-English setup with no other language or region involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So many keyboards.  So many different character maps.  This page has made me feel arrogant for assuming that my 'US' layout was a sort of world standard, but the 'greater than', and 'lesser than' characters are on the other side of the keyboard on about half of these.

International Keyboards Mapping

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. Some of the standard PS shortcuts don't work at all here, like the square brackets.

And sometimes the other shortcuts don't take at all in Photoshop, just no reaction. Funnily enough, there's one that always works, and that's ctrl+alt+shift+K, which brings up the keyboard shortcut dialog. Dismiss that with Enter, and all the other shortcuts come back to life.

I can't explain this, but I suspect that too is related to using a Norwegian keyboard with English Photoshop and English Windows. It must be, since I have it in two machines, but no one else seems to have this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Edit>Prefrences>type disable smart Quotes.
I had the same problem and this solved for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that was the solution that worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to find this same solution for Illustrator but Edit doesn't seem to have a "preferences" option. In my text, like the poster's same issue - I am getting > instead of ' and ≫ instead of ".

I can't find any conversation about this issue for Illustrator anywhere. Only here on this thread for Photoshop. I would assume there would be similar fix and I am not sure how this just started happening. Does anyone know a fix for the same issue in Illustrator? It doesn't happen outside of Illustrator. Not in any MS platforms like word or excel. Only Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator - Go into the Type menu, then select "Smart Punctuation" and you will find the same "Smart Quotes" checkbox as mentioned in this thread. I had that problem in Illustrator, after selecting this option, I had to start a new text box, but the issue was fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello this didn't work for me . Are there any other solutions ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been driving me crazy forever. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This doesn't seem to work anymore and illustrator should really find a permenant solution to the same problem that has been appearing for 12 years or more!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm wondering if you ever had this problem resolved. I'm having the same issue right now and can't seem to figure out what went wrong or how to fix it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the exact same problem - seemed to come out of nowhere, and I'm on a deadline!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has been answered above

I've been having the exact same problem - seemed to come out of nowhere, and I'm on a deadline!!!

By @Mathew5FCB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop, go to: Preferences > Type, and untick “Use Smart Quotes”.

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 2.03.00 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found another soluction. 

open paragraph panel (Alt + Ctrl + T), go to options and select "Roman Hanging Punctuation"

Syed25141571pfru_0-1664615090046.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines