Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Increasing Text Thickness - Simple Steps

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I'm a novice Photoshopper and hoping a kind soul can help. I have searched for this answer but cannot get it right. I believe this is simple - and hope someone can describe clear steps to solve the issue!

1) I have a text box. It is a three letter acronym. I have selected size/font etc.

2) I wish to make the text itself thicker - not bigger, or further spaced apart - simply, thicker.

Can anyone tell me how to do that?  It's just a text box with 3 letters in it. Which I need to make thicker.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

If you want to thicken a font you can use Stroke in Layer Styles.

hello.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Character, Options Bar, …) visible? 

What is the font you used? 

Does the font have other Styles (light, roman, bold, black, …)? 

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 18.06.02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I've kept this very simple but hopefully you can see - the font is Arial, the size is 16pt and it is in bold, with Smooth style. It is a text box on a background which is a rectangle filled in green. That's it. 

Tim5CE2_0-1614014316544.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to thicken a font you can use Stroke in Layer Styles.

hello.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fabulous! I had tried that earlier but through random trial and error I have gotten to what I needed!

Thank you both for helping!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For any complete newbs like my stumbling onto this, follow these steps:

1) Double click the text box in the layers area

2) This brings up a menu, including "Stroke" - click on that

3) In this, select "Outside" from "Position", choose your fill colour (same as text) and select Size - 1pt did the job for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The corners may suffer with the LAyer Style Stroke, though, whereas a Stroke on a Shape Layer can maintain unrounded corners. 

Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 08.05.49.pngScreenshot 2021-02-23 at 08.06.49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the smallest stroke thickness is 1px. I had to triple my image size to get the font thickness to a good size.
Any good reason why fractions are not allowed here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Photohop is pixel oriented image editing software. 

And have you tried a Shape Layer Stroke instead of the Layer Style?

Edit: That Stroke allows for fractions as it is vector based, though vector output is only possible in certain file formats. 

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 17.45.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, that works much better. I had a bit of a hard time figuring out how to apply that to text, though. Because apparently it cannot be applied to text. I had to "Type > Convert to Shape" first. Then swithch to the Path Selection tool, as seen in your screenshot.

Sure, Photohop is pixel oriented. But then, why can I apply fractions to path strokes, and not to Layer Style strokes?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Shape Layer Strokes are (more or less) vector data, though vector output is only possible in certain file formats. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines