Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inkjet Printing from Photoshop

Engaged ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some minor issues when printing from Photoshop's Print Dialog:

1. Even with presets, many of the Print Dialog settings are constantly being reset in ways that seem arbitrary. If I set paper size & type, then return to that setting for any reason, the settings have often reverted to something else. I spoke to a tech at Moab Paper who echoed the same issues I have with settings. (The settings are NOT reverting to the settings specified in my custom presets)

2. The Print Preview window in the Print Dialog does not match the color or density of my image in the main photoshop file image window. If I select the icc profile for the printer & paper that I'm using and enable View>Proof Colors, the image in the working file window still doesn't match the preview image in the Print Dialog window. But the Print Dialog Image does appear to be closer to the final print. How can I get a more accurate preview in the main file window?

My Monitor is calibrated, and my prints are pretty close to how my images appear. I would simply like to narrow that gap.

(OS: Mojave, current Photoshop CC, Canon Pro-100, Moab Juniper Baryta & Canon Pro Luster papers. Current Canon driver -reinstalled after Mojave update)

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An inkjet slaps ink down on bright white paper. A monitor shoots those colors at your eyes. There will always be a difference.

One tip I've gotten is to apply a Brightness/Contrast adjustment layer. +40 Brightness/-40 Contrast as a starting point before printing from the inkjet. That way your print will more closely resemble what you see on the screen.

That's for those with average monitors and home/office inkjets. A calibrated setup using high end profiled monitors and printers will give better results, but most users can't get that service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I certainly understand the difference between a monitor & paper. And Moab Baryta is warmer than pure white papers. The issue at hand is the difference between the color & density in my image in photoshop and that same file as it appears in the print dialog preview window. The shift is primarily an increase in red.

And as mentioned, when I select the appropriate icc profile for paper & printer, using View>Proof Colors, it still does not look the same as the preview window in print dialog. Yet that preview more accurately represents what the print will look like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't answer why Print Preview is more accurate than view > proof. It could be rendering intent and I think there are checkboxes for paper and ink.

Does Moab or their user groups have best proof setup ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Does Moab or their user groups have best proof setup ideas?"

Yes, and they are excellent & accurate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually go by Print Preview and can't say much more about View > Proof colors or why you are seeing these mismatches.

Someone here should have something for you to go on. Good luck. I think I know who and will try and get him over here.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's always going to be some gap between how it looks like on the screen with how its printed.  Variables like the paper and the fact that the colors on the screen are always going to be based on a RGB makeup, even if the file is in CMYK,  where the paper is printed in a CMYK makeup.  Things like that are always going to give minute disconnects with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines