Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem:

Components:

Processor: Intel i7 7820x

MB - MSI SLI PLUS x299

RAM - 32 GB 4*8 GB HyperX HX428C14SB2K4/32

SSD 1 -  SAMSUNG MZVPW256HEGL-000H1 (256 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4) (System)

SSD 2 - OCZ-VECTOR (SATA-III)

HDD - ST2000DL001-9VT156 (1863 GB) (SEAGATE)

Video Adapter - NVIDIA Quadro K620 (2 GB)

Computer crashes when I'm using Adobe programs. But I have noticed that only in Bridge CC, Photoshop CC and After Effects CC.  I used the latest version of the programs but I have checked in several previous Adobe CC versions and the problem was repeating. Only Photoshop CS 6 and Bridge CS 6 works fine.

Adobe Illustrator, Lightroom, Premiere also works fine.

There are no problem with programs like Aida64, Prime95, Cinebench R15.038,  Affinity Photo.

At first I thought that the problem is caused by graphic card NVidia Quadro k620 but I had disabled Graphics Processor functions in Adobe programs and still this programs were crashing. By the way I used this card before in another platform and everything worked fine.

Next step, I enabled Safe Mode in Windows 10 (64 bit) and crashes stopped. I’ve discovered that driver Turbo Boost Max 3.0 in Safe Mode is off.

I’ve decided to uncheck “enable” function in Turbo Boost Max 3.0 program but Adobe (PS, Br, AE)  programs still are crashing.

I've turn off Intel Turbo Boost 3.0 and it’s driver (I've disabled services and AutoStart).  Adobe programs still crashes.

I've decided to disable Turbo Boost in BIOS and then Adobe programs stopped Crashes.

I’ve reinstalled System in SSD 1 and SSD 2,  used each memory separately, Changing BIOS - nothing changes.

Just turning off Turbo Boost in BIOS gives an effect

Intel support suggested that is a  Adobe programs problem.

Is there any solution Turbo Boost compatybility on I7 7820x ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have similar problems

i7-7820X

ASUS X299-PRIME-A (BIOS 0702)

Loading User Symbols

Loading unloaded module list

* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 124, {0, ffffcc813d354028, b2000000, 70005}

Probably caused by : GenuineIntel

Followup: MachineOwner

---------

1: kd> !analyze -v

* Bugcheck Analysis *

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)

A fatal hardware error has occurred. Parameter 1 identifies the type of error

source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the

WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error conditon.

Arguments:

Arg1: 0000000000000000, Machine Check Exception

Arg2: ffffcc813d354028, Address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure.

Arg3: 00000000b2000000, High order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.

Arg4: 0000000000070005, Low order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.

Debugging Details:

------------------

DUMP_CLASS: 1

DUMP_QUALIFIER: 400

BUILD_VERSION_STRING: 10.0.15063.608 (WinBuild.160101.0800)

SYSTEM_MANUFACTURER: System manufacturer

SYSTEM_PRODUCT_NAME: System Product Name

SYSTEM_SKU: SKU

SYSTEM_VERSION: System Version

BIOS_VENDOR: American Megatrends Inc.

BIOS_VERSION: 0702

BIOS_DATE: 08/08/2017

BASEBOARD_MANUFACTURER: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

BASEBOARD_PRODUCT: PRIME X299-A

BASEBOARD_VERSION: Rev 1.xx

DUMP_TYPE: 2

DUMP_FILE_ATTRIBUTES: 0x8

Kernel Generated Triage Dump

BUGCHECK_P1: 0

BUGCHECK_P2: ffffcc813d354028

BUGCHECK_P3: b2000000

BUGCHECK_P4: 70005

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x124_GenuineIntel

CPU_COUNT: 10

CPU_MHZ: e10

CPU_VENDOR: GenuineIntel

CPU_FAMILY: 6

CPU_MODEL: 55

CPU_STEPPING: 4

CPU_MICROCODE: 6,55,4,0 (F,M,S,R) SIG: 2000026'00000000 (cache) 2000026'00000000 (init)

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME: Photoshop.exe

CURRENT_IRQL: f

ANALYSIS_SESSION_HOST: SPY

ANALYSIS_SESSION_TIME: 09-15-2017 13:56:07.0060

ANALYSIS_VERSION: 10.0.15063.468 amd64fre

STACK_TEXT:

ffffe200`45a249b8 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KeBugCheckEx

STACK_COMMAND: kb

THREAD_SHA1_HASH_MOD_FUNC: 81a83ae0317433a47fcc36991983df3b6e638b71

THREAD_SHA1_HASH_MOD_FUNC_OFFSET: 6e16edd8c7dd677734fdbcd2397a2e35e9fae964

THREAD_SHA1_HASH_MOD: 76cd06466d098060a9eb26e5fd2a25cb1f3fe0a3

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: GenuineIntel

IMAGE_NAME: GenuineIntel

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_MAE

BUCKET_ID: 0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_MAE

PRIMARY_PROBLEM_CLASS: 0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_MAE

TARGET_TIME: 2017-09-15T09:11:24.000Z

OSBUILD: 15063

OSSERVICEPACK: 608

SERVICEPACK_NUMBER: 0

OS_REVISION: 0

SUITE_MASK: 272

PRODUCT_TYPE: 1

OSPLATFORM_TYPE: x64

OSNAME: Windows 10

OSEDITION: Windows 10 WinNt TerminalServer SingleUserTS

OS_LOCALE:

USER_LCID: 0

OSBUILD_TIMESTAMP: 2017-09-05 07:09:34

BUILDDATESTAMP_STR: 160101.0800

BUILDLAB_STR: WinBuild

BUILDOSVER_STR: 10.0.15063.608

ANALYSIS_SESSION_ELAPSED_TIME: 33b

ANALYSIS_SOURCE: KM

FAILURE_ID_HASH_STRING: km:0x124_genuineintel_processor_mae

FAILURE_ID_HASH: {7c95de0c-286c-8226-45c2-422b4de101d6}

Followup: MachineOwner

---------

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been holding off on a new X299 or X399 build specifically waiting for issues like this to come to light, so thanks for sharing.  Puget Systems Did an interesting comparison with similar builds running Photoshop, and I didn’t notice them having issues with the 7820X.   I went to the trouble of totalling the times for most of the test set ups, and it was interesting that the cheaper Threadripper (7920X) was the clear winner. Since then I have had to reinstall Windows, and I can’t currently access that spreadsheet, but I’ll put it up when I get my drives connected.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Photoshop-CC-2017-1-1-CPU-Comparison-Skylake-X-vs-Threadr...

Other than this issue with Turbo-Boost, how are you guys finding your new builds?   I'm actually finding that my current 3930K build is working a lot better since the reinstall. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always make it a point to use components and architectures that have been on the market for at least one year, preferably more. Bleeding edge is one thing, but reliability is far more important.

Ill-matched components quickly eat up any advantage from fast nominal speeds. BIOS is a case in point. I've had my share of BIOS problems in the past, like RAM BSOD'ing the system even when running at nominal speed.

So when I built a new system a month ago, I went for LGA1156 (7700K) and an Asus Z270 board. Workhorse stuff.

The biggest jump in performance seems to be the M.2 PCIe system drive. Man, that thing is fast - to the point where Photoshop's scratch disk is no longer a real bottleneck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there was a lot of self-contradictory nonsense in my post #12. 7700K was introduced less than a year ago (although mainly an update to 6700K), and the socket is 1151 not 1156. In any case all that's irrelevant, this thread is about 7820X with a different socket and different chipset.

I'll just go sit over there in the corner now.

But while I'm sitting here, I'd also be curious to know why BIOS matters, as it clearly does. According to what I've been able to look up, the BIOS just boots up the system, and then it's done. It's not called upon during running operation. It used to, but not with modern OS's, which talk to all components directly. Old BIOS functions have now been taken over by UEFI, whatever that is.

I suppose the answer is that during bootup, it sets some operational parameters. And in the case of Safe Boot, they're set differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Fosse​ BIOS updates can contain microcode updates for the CPU. There are so called CPU erratas that describe problems and characteristics of each CPU series. Check this one for example. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/7th-gen-core-fami... See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcode as well. Microcode is loaded by the BIOS to work around known CPU issues. The interesting part is just what exactly did the update change or fix. Did it touch the microcode at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Trevor.Dennis the 7820X has 8 cores the 7920X has 12 cores. And even with 4 cores more it is in the most columns of that sheet just slightly faster and in some slower. You might want to compare 8 vs 8 cores. The results and four cores more don't make it a clear winner for me?

Except the issue with photoshop I'm OK with my system. I had a 4770k before but thanks to a failing PSU that took the board with it I had to buy new stuff.

@D.Foss I'll try the new BIOS update now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last BIOS update fixed it for me. I'm curios, what exactly is the technical background of the issue? The change notes of the update haven't shown anything I would associate with the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2017 Dec 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to search for bios update because i don't know how... will try this and hope it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

For me, the bios-update did not resolve the issue, I'm afraid.

How to switch TurboBoost of completely?

1) Restart your PC and press esc and/or delete repeatetly. In my case, the system doesnt recognize the prompts, it only does so, when I shut down the System, wait 10 seconds, then switch on power... But I get there

2) To navigate here... There's a youtube-video (MSI X299 SLI PLUS BIOS Overview - YouTube). Jump to 4:20, here he switches in advance mode (F7)

3) Go to overclock settings (7:00+ in video). Everything of interest is the point "misc"; here you have EIST (leave on or downclocking CPU is hindered), TurboBoost and Enhanced Turbo.

4) TurboBoost goes disabled, by simply clicking and changing. I havent tried if "Enhanced Turbo" is active for me, but I switched it of.

After that I could use every of the new adobe programs, including photoshop, including premiere 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot man!! But i first just updated my ASUS Bios and opend Premiere Pro... sinds 20min ago... and it still works... still got my fingers crossed... feels so bad in the stomach... Just rendered (just 10sec footage) and went OK!! Hope it keeps working!! Thanks for the response!! Have a great hollidays and hope the PC's will work!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Just for the log of this issue that some other people may have as well, I would like to share that I have the same problem with bugcheck 124, GenuineIntel:

ASUS PRIME X299-DELUXE

Latest BIOS version 1102. Loaded default BIOS Setup (not even set any overclocking).

Intel i9-7920x

Corsair CMK64GX4M8X4000C19 (64GB 8*8GB) (supported modules according to official ASUS DRAM Qualified VL)

nVidia Quadro K4000, with latest nVidia Quadro Driver 391.03

Samsung NVMe SSD 960 Pro M.2

Windows 10 Pro 1709 64 bit.

When Intel Turbo is enabled in the BIOS setting, then Adobe Premiere CC 2018 will almost immediately create a BSOD with Bugcheck 124, GenuineIntel. Opening a project and just hit a play button will generate the BSOD. Also Photoshop and/or Lightroom will generate the same BSOD when doing something more processor extensive in develop mode.

I have checked the processor using the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tools, I have used extensive memory checking tool to verify the RAM. No problems. I have used other processor intensive non-Adobe software with the turbo settings enable: no problem at all.

I had contact with ASUS support and with Adobe Support Chat which was not very constructive.

Adobe told me to talk to Microsoft, because it should be a memory problem. So I opened up a official Microsoft Support Ticket and they just finished investigating multiple BSOD dump files and have come to the official conclusion that it is not a Windows error, but it will be a combined error solving between Adobe, Intel and ASUS maybe. So I will try to narrow down the problem to the correct parties and hope they listen.

Although disabling the turbo setting in the BIOS is a current workaround, it's not a real option for the long term. I do not have much experience about various overclocking settings in the BIOS, so I happy to keep the default BIOS settings with turbo enabled.

ASUS hasn't updated a newer BIOS since January, 17 2018; so no luck for that.

If anybody has any idea or have solved via other ways than disabling the turbo; please share your ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe programs are not tested on overclocked systems, which I assume Turbo Boost is involved with. Just because you can squeeze more performance out of the processor or graphics card does not mean the system will be stable with an application like Photoshop that is very demanding at the best of times and leverages performance from parallel processing and GPU acceleration.-most applications don't do that so possibly it's a case of a few CPU cycles to far.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turbo Boost is the standard work of the intel processor. This is its performance. This problem is only with ADOBE products. I hope they can fix it and release an update.

As far as I understand the problem occurs on the current version of the program, there is no such problem with the older versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what is it that happens? Shutdown, reboot, or BSOD? (or whatever color the death screens have now, haven't seen one in ages)

Or is it just Photoshop crashing?

If the former, there are hardware or driver problems. An application cannot crash the entire system, only itself. There are layers to protect from that. What can happen, is that an application triggers a latent problem, by making specific calls that other apps don't. 

If this was a general problem with Photoshop, we'd all see it. I just built a 7700K system (also with turboboost), and I don't see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I understand, the problem is tested only on the x299 chipset and except for the 7820x processor the other has not met at the moment.

BSOD occurs, solely on the program from ADOBE. Any other tests, even stress tests the system goes through. The platform on the 2066 socket is the newest from intel. There appeared turboboost 3. I understand that ADOBE can not work with it. And there is code in the ADOBE program that executes instructions for the processor that should not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a pity Chris Cox no longer posts here. He was senior engineer and wrote much of the Photoshop code. But he has in the past explained, in great detail, why it is impossible for an application, any application, to bring down the whole system. It just cannot happen, there is built-in architectural protection. The application can crash, quit, freeze or hang, but not cause BSODs.

Any application can, however, trigger latent hardware or low-level driver problems.

So if you have BSODs, the real problem is elsewhere. It would probably be more productive to start looking at, say, RAM configuration, just to pick one out of the hat.

(BTW the 7700K is of course a different socket and different turbo-boost version. So scratch that, but anyway that's not relevant to the point).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that this looks strange. But this is a problem for many (10 people already have) who have 7820X on different motherboards and with different memory.

The only problem with ADOBE products.

I would just like to receive an official response from INTEL or ADOBE what to do to people with this problem. Disabling turboboost is not the solution to the problem, it's the standard processor functionality for which its users paid money. I am sure that a solution to this problem exists or will soon emerge. If this is a hardware problem with the INTEL processor, then they must recognize it and make an exchange. The processor works with all other applications perfectly.

I did not see a response from INTEL, but ADOBE representatives in the forum wrote that he had transferred information to the technical department. I am sure that they will be able to give an exact answer to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ASUS updated BIOS 0802

With him, I no longer have this problem. I think, other manufacturers will do or have already done the same thing. I do not know what it was, but I have Photoshop running and working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the problem as well. Using an Intel 7820X on an Asus TUF Mark I 299 with 32gb RAM.

Disabling Turbo Boost fixes the issue but I consider this as a workaround and not as a solution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, did you update the BIOS? The post immediately preceding yours says that fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here with gigabyte x299 ud4 and 7820 CPU.   premiere and after effect cc 2017 crash immediately. on win 10 - all system reboot.

on windows 7 they just crash themselves and not the system.

I have tried everything possible as far as drivers and updates. new installation several times, changing memory to older slower ones and changing from Quadro p2000 to gtx550 ... nothing. the crash is imminent.

(in after – it's when you try to play the timeline. in premiere – you just need to import something and open a sequence.)

All other programs that are not adobe work well.

It's very much obvious that adobe and intel has a BIG issue to solve and they should do it urgently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2017 Sep 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another one who has "tried everything" - except the very thing that has been clearly stated to fix it, several times in the preceding posts.

Read the thread again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same setup and problem  as you fekavio! gigabyte x299 ud4 and i7 7820x CPU. And the problem are the same, after effect cc 2017 crash immediately. on win 10 - all system reboot. i tried on also on windows 8.1 pro  they just crash themselves and not the system.

Have you figured out how to solve this? or are u using the turboboost disabled workaround thing?

Note To Adobe team, i think this issue need permanent solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issues across a wide range of adobe software and also software in general. i9-7900x, ASRock x299 Taichi. Havent had a BIOS update in a month or so now, so not sure if there's one in the works or not. But i have disabled Turbo Boost Max 3.0 for now, see how we go. Not ideal as mentioned, just a work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines