Highlighted

Intel Integrated Graphics

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After purchasing a new Dell Precision 3640 but haven't received it yet. I noticed that it has only Intel Integrated Graphics and just wondering is this good enough for Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator or do I need a dedicated graphics card to run things smoothly. Thanks

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Intel Integrated Graphics

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After purchasing a new Dell Precision 3640 but haven't received it yet. I noticed that it has only Intel Integrated Graphics and just wondering is this good enough for Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator or do I need a dedicated graphics card to run things smoothly. Thanks

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 10, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should say so for Photoshop. Basicially any GPU 4 years or newer.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

As for InDesign and Illustrator, check with those Adobe forums.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply, gener7. Much appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2020 0
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those applications work fine with integrated graphics. Part of the reason is that most laptops only have integrated graphics, like mine.

Adobe applications can perform better with discrete graphics, but you might not notice the difference unless you:

• Work with very large documents
  • Attach multiple large HiDPI displays
  • Start using pro video editing applications

One factor that affects this is the amount of RAM. Integrated graphics takes its memory from the system, so the more RAM you ordered for your new Dell, the more memory will be available to integrated graphics and the better it will work, especially if you keep multiple Adobe applications open at the same time.

It looks like the Dell Precision 3640 is a minitower desktop computer. If it is possible to open it up and add a discrete graphics card to it later, then you have that option in the future if it becomes necessary. But if you are currently going to use it with a single display for average projects in Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator you should be OK.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much, Conrad_C. I ordered it with 64GB 4X16GB DDR4 2666MHz or 2933MHz (2933MHz requires Intel Core i7 or above) UDIMM Non-ECC Memory. I sometimes work with large documents, but I missed the bit about graphics when ordering.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2020 0
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can buy a video card later. Open the box and plug it in here. This is the motherboard of the Precision 3640 (found the image on Dell support):

motherboard.png

BTW I see there are two M.2 ports here for PCIe SSD drives. That's excellent. You probably get one installed as your system drive - but PCIe M.2 drives are extremely fast and you should get another one in time. That should give you lots of ultra-fast disk space for the Photoshop scratch disk, which can have large impact on PS performance when working with large files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks D_Fosse

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D_Fosse - I ordered it with a 1tb ssd for the os and programmes and a 2tb hdd for storage. Will that make a difference.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2020 0
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll be fine for now. But PCIe drives are so much faster than other drives that it would be a waste to leave an unused port.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2020 0
jbohan1 LATEST
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again, D_Fosse, I'll look into that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2020 0