• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interface Issue - phantom window? Photoshop 20.0.5 macOS Mojave 10.14.5

Engaged ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an odd panel that seems to be part of the PS interface. I suspect I may have corrupted prefs, but want to check for known issues before resetting prefs. There is a persistent blank grey window BEHIND the working file image window. (see screenshots) I can resize this grey window, but if I close it, the current file closes also. When I reopen my working file, the blank window reappears. It's like an image window without an image. I have reviewed the workspace/interface prefs & don't see anything that removes this panel.

So is this a known issue, corrupted prefs, or just an odd new feature that I'm not getting?

Thanks

Grey panel is at left. Working file to the right. PS: 20.0.5  Mac OS: 10.14.5 - Mac Pro (cylinder style)

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 12.59.59 PM.jpg

In this screenshot the upper left control buttons are active in BOTH panels.

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 1.12.08 PM.jpg

Message was edited by: Sahil Chawla

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That shouldn't be happening, let's make it right.

As there is a blank window in Photoshop, could you please try resetting the work-space and see if it helps? Adobe Photoshop workspace basics

If that does not help, then you should try resetting the preferences: Preferences in Photoshop

Note: Make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes and actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. Migrate presets, actions, and settings

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Resetting workspace had no effect.

I suspected that prefs need reset. Always annoying to perform that opp, as there are so many items that revert to default, and it's easy to forget some. It would be helpful if ALL settings could be saved for prefs reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. but that's an endless search result list for backing up many unrelated apps PC & Mac etc.

It's easy to RESET Prefs, but what about all the various custom settings that will go to default after prefs reset?

Is there not a way to backup ALL PShop custom settings to streamline prefs reset/restore?

I know that a COPY of prefs can be made after a prefs reset (hopefully it is new & uncorrupted) but if that copy has NOT been made, then the user is forced to wade through all sorts of custom interface options after each prefs reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset the Prefs and this phantom window is still persistent. As before, if I attempt to close the phantom window, it forces ALL other open files to close.

At this point I can't tell if this is a PS bug, an isolated issue with my workstation, a virus, whatever.

Here is a screenshot I just made AFTER resetting Prefs. The "phantom" window is just behind an untitled test file. I clicked to dismiss the phantom file, and the Untitled was closed to (I was prompted to save untitled)

If I open another file, the phantom screen reappears.

I'm guessing the next step would be to re-install photoshop?

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 11.20.33 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you reinstall: what happens if you dock all the windows instead of letting them free float? Window>Application Frame.

JVK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "phantom window" your referring to is actually the photoshop application window (frame).

Not a bug, though funny the window did not maximize after resetting the photoshop preferences.

You reset the photoshop preferences by going to Photoshop CC>Preferences>General, clicking Reset Preferences on Quit and restarting photoshop?

pa2.jpg

Click on the Green Maximize button to fit the photoshop application window to your screen.

gm.jpg

This is what your photoshop application should look like.

pa.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I originally THOUGHT this was the application window. But it is more of an annoyance. Can it be disabled? I typically work in Full Screen Mode with menu bar, & often toggle to standard screen mode when dragging elements between files. The app window is a handy way to hide desktop clutter, but an option to disable would still be preferable.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes go to Window and uncheck Application Frame,

waf2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines