• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Invoking Smart Sharpen crashes Photoshop 21.1

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title says it all. I see from the community entries that PS 21.1 is not the most stable of applications. I tried to search the forums for reference to this problem, if any, but the search engine crashed on every attempt. Sigh.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Just tested on Windows 10 with PS version 21.1, smart sharpen works fine for me with either a normal layer and as a smart object. There are issues with this release but I can replicate the issue you're having

Try resetting your preferences, you may want to backup your custom settings beforehand.

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

image1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions Ged. I have made a couple of changes to the preferences,  as you indicated in your diagram. I can't say that I have been all that systematic, but whatever I did, it seemed to work. Smart Sharpen no longer results in a PS crash as far as I can see. Touch wood. Thanks again Ged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS!! That worked!!! I didn't migrate preferences (low-level user) and discovered I have modified them as I went along. No big changes so no big deal on the "nonmigration".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently started having this problem and it was driving me insane, couldn't figure it out.  I hate resetting settings as a recommendation, I want to know why something is happening.  Some recommend disabling OpenCL, but why use this expensive software and super expensive computer/GPU but have to disable valuable acceleration for a basic function?

Then I realized what setting I'd changed: try setting your Cache Levels to 2.  I was messing around with raising it because of checking for gradient-banding which can be false when zoomed out (whole can of worms and massive debate of its own).  Long story short, it seems to me Cache Level:2 is the way to go in general, and going higher may be causing this for some.  Hope this helps someone out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences > Performance> and uncheck (Use Graphics Processor ) > then everything will work fine.
If you have Nvidia card, try to download the Studio driver not the Game ready driver, if it works then fine, if not , keep unchecking Graphics processor and you are ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a general comment: Smart Sharpen is partly executed in the GPU, using OpenCL, which is a component in the video driver. So the underlying cause is most likely a buggy video driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines