• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Iris xe Max not being detected as a graphics processor

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently bought the Inspiron 7506 which includes an 11th gen i7 and iris xe mas GPU. Photoshop isn't recognizing it, is there a driver I needed (all the available ones from Dell are updated)?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear about this. I work at Intel and forwarded this to engineering for review.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem with my Inspiron 7506. Here's how I fixed it:

Hit the window key and search for "Intel Graphics Command Center" - you should see a message on the left side of the screen titled "New dGPU Detected!" Follow the instructions there - but I'll paste them here as well.

"1. From Start Icon, type "Graphics Settings". Click on the results from System Settings.

2. Click on "Desktop app".

3. Click on your application. If your application is not on the list, you will need to browse to the folder where the .exe file is located. You may need to look up the folder location of this file using a search engine.

4. Once identified, click "Options".

5. Set the application to your preferred GPU.

6. Hit save."

As a note, if you're struggling to find Photoshop for step 3 (it didn't show up for me, since it's looking for games), use the windows key to open the start menu again, type "Photoshop" and right click on it - then click "Open file location". Now that you're in the file location, copy the file path in the address bar at the top (something like C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs) and paste it into the address bar you open up when you click "Browse" in step 3 inside "Graphics Settings". For step 5 above, I selected "High Performance". Now photoshop can be detected! You might need to do this for any other programs that you want to detect the GPU - pretty annoying, but this is an easy workaround until this gets figured out.

Hope this helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to have fixed the display driver issue I was having with Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me To: Same Dell laptop (7506) with both Iris Xe and Iris XE Max shown under Display Adapters with two symptoms. On starting PS receive a dialog stating that "PS has encountered a problem with the display driver" and has disabled enhancements which use the graphics hardware. Second is a sudden crash when trying to do almost anything with an image, even just making a selection on a lecture. Crash presents a message asking me to send info to Adobe but no info. Haven't tried digging into event viewer.

Tried dsb1010's steps and PS was not listed. Added it and set options to high performance but problems persists if I select 'Let Windows Decide' or 'High Performance' using the Max processor. I selected 'Power Saving' using the Iris Xe (not Max) and have been able to step through some of my regular tasks with no crash, so far.

Have used Dell Support Assistant to ensure all drivers are up to date and they are.

Followed JJMack's link (had to tweak it) and downloaded Intel Driver and Support Assistant. It reports that both Iris adapters have updates but presents a dire warning that OEM drivers have been customized to the machine and replacing them with Intel's generic drivers may cause the Earth to stop spinning on its axis and that the Intel drivers are "for testing only".

Does anyone have any insights on, a) whether the intel-specific Iris drivers will address this problem and, b) whether they will break something Dell has set up with their drivers?

I don't need Photoshop a lot but when I  need it I REALLY need it and am really torqued that the money I spent on all of this stuff isn't paying off for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"warning that OEM drivers have been customized to the machine"

That neatly sums up the whole problem with laptops in general. They do it to everything from the operating system to drivers to hardware. The result is nothing but problems, because nothing is standard and you are effectively held hostage to the manufacturer's own components.

I've owned exactly one laptop in my life, and swore never again. This is the reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines