Highlighted

Is anybody else fed up with updates that break the software?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost every time Adobe updates this program it becomes fundamentally broken and unusable. Everybody is paying monthly fees for software that doesn't work. My business relies on it and I don't have a choice but to use newer versions as I don't have time to go poking around through old versions to find one that works, nor should I have to, paying a monthly fee for this.

Older versions are broken in other ways so I look forward to updates that fix these issues, but new dramatic issues are always introduced. Why is Adobe so terrible with this? I'm completely at odds as to how this could happen EVERY TIME. If this seems out of context I'm referring to all the weird graphic/block issues that are happening with 21.2, not to mentin strange brush stuff that was happening prior, which is why I tried the update. I run an older version mostly now (18.1.6) because the newer versions simply don't work but it also has problems with corrupting files. Files often don't recover either.

When it works it's great but it seems like the past few years has been coding hell for this program.

Please someone tell me what the hell is going on and why it's like this? I also think Adobe should suspend fees while their programs don't work, or provide refunds until they do. I've spent hours with their tech support also, doing remote screen help, and they usually end up trashing the preferences which works for a little while and then the problems return.

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Is anybody else fed up with updates that break the software?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost every time Adobe updates this program it becomes fundamentally broken and unusable. Everybody is paying monthly fees for software that doesn't work. My business relies on it and I don't have a choice but to use newer versions as I don't have time to go poking around through old versions to find one that works, nor should I have to, paying a monthly fee for this.

Older versions are broken in other ways so I look forward to updates that fix these issues, but new dramatic issues are always introduced. Why is Adobe so terrible with this? I'm completely at odds as to how this could happen EVERY TIME. If this seems out of context I'm referring to all the weird graphic/block issues that are happening with 21.2, not to mentin strange brush stuff that was happening prior, which is why I tried the update. I run an older version mostly now (18.1.6) because the newer versions simply don't work but it also has problems with corrupting files. Files often don't recover either.

When it works it's great but it seems like the past few years has been coding hell for this program.

Please someone tell me what the hell is going on and why it's like this? I also think Adobe should suspend fees while their programs don't work, or provide refunds until they do. I've spent hours with their tech support also, doing remote screen help, and they usually end up trashing the preferences which works for a little while and then the problems return.

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Unable to complete business critical tasks due to same issues. Reverting to old versions caused issues with text rendering in documents.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a 2017 MBP 15inch with Radeon Pro 555 2 GB

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wouldn't be such a problem if the older versions werent riddled with their own software-breaking bugs. For example the version prior to the latest, every now and then the file I'm working on will lock up, and the canvas does this weird thing where it gets stretched vertically and I can no longer work on it - luckily its a view issue only and I can save and close the file and reopen it until it happens again - but still incredibly annoying. The older version I use most frequently doesn't do this and works well in most respects except that it corrupts files every now and then. I have to constantly run backups to not lose more than an hour of work but it's an insane thing to have to worry about for software I'm paying for.

Does Adobe have anything to say?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no law that says you must accept every update.  If my app is working, I often skip incremental dot releases entirely.   And I never upgrade until I'm ready, especially when working on time sensitive project deadlines.  Turn off automatic app updates from your Creative Cloud desktop preferences (gear icon). 

Post back if you don't know how to do that. 

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said, this would be fine if older versions worked properly but they don't either. I can't remember the last time I used a fully stable release. Maybe around 5 or so years ago.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop version 20 without problems.  I also have version 18 installed in case I ever need it.  My system is an aging Win10 workstation with ample scratch disk and RAM.  

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are 100% spot on.  Its madness.  I generally avoid incremental backups, but when things start to get glitchy, I finally succumb.  I felt I had to update to 20, because I kept losing my palettes.  Now that I have that POS, I keep doing the incrementals to try and get rid of other glitches.  Now?  My screen flashes black while I'm working.  Sketch sketch BLACK sketch move BLACK.  And if I go to another program and want to keep PSD open on my desktop so I can see it, NOPE, that screen has gone black.  It is literally unworkable.  But I can't go back to stuff that stopped working before.  Its an utter lack of quality control.  Are we surprised?  They don't HAVE to care, there is no viable competition.  It infuriates me.  Take some time, take some of the GAZILLION dollars you're squeezing out of us, and JUST. MAKE.IT.WORK.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL !

Adobe needs to do regression testing before releasing their software.

Lots of programming errors.

And from a big company??? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines