is having a scratch disk necessary?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I have MBPr 15 (mid 2015)

16 ram

512gb (normally keeps the usage below 250gb and upload everything to dropbox)

I read all these articles about scratch disk and would I benefit from it too?

If so do I have to make a partition for it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop moves so much data around that it can't be held in RAM. No matter how much RAM you have, it's not enough.

So temporary working data are written to your hard drive. That's the scratch disk. Either the system drive, or another physical drive of your choosing. For Photoshop, RAM is more a fast access cache for the scratch disk's main memory.

Photoshop can't function without enough free space for the scratch disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a sort of sef defeating question.  If you feel the need to ask it, then it suggests your hardware specs might possibly be marginal, but if yourware is marginal, you have a greater need for scratch space.  If you only have the one drive, then that's the one Photoshop will use.  You can't untic all available drives.  Photoshop won't let you.

If you were using Windows I'd suggest some ways to save space on your boot drive.  There must be similar information for OSX systems.  I found some links with Google, but it's something I'd want reliable advise on before trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As others have said, it is not a question of would you benefit from scratch disk rather Photoshop will not function without it.

I have 64GB RAM here and still end up with large, sometimes massive, scratch disk files depending on what I am doing.
As to whether you can use the OS disk, you can, and many with only one disk do this. But given a choice, a separate disk is better. That way the scratch disk file will not be limited by the space on your OS disk, nor will it impinge on the space available for your operating system on that disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your system drive is an NVMe drive, you should definitely have your scratch disk there (as long as there is enough space). These drives are so insanely fast that RAM almost becomes irrelevant.

The general advice these days is that with SSDs, there's no speed advantage to a separate scratch disk, since there's no moving read/write head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Provided the SSD is large enough, I agree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines