Highlighted

Is it possible to constrain magic wand to select from a specific layer?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do a lot of coloring for comic book style art. I often have one layer, called "Flats" where I have all the areas that will be colored filled in with a different, flat color. I do my actual detailed color, lighting, shading and effects on other layers.

I often need to refer back to that flats layer so I can select an area of color to work on, and then work on it on one of my colors/shading layers. Once I've started applying any shading, I can't use the color/shading layers for selecting areas anymore, because the magic doesn't not work well with gradients. Or sometimes effects might be separated on different layers in ways that get complicated.

Unfortunately, to select an area on the Flats layer, I have to select the Flats layer, use the magic wand to select the color area, then move back to the colors/shading layers. It's a lot of steps, and I often make mistakes, and start shading on the flats layer, or on the wrong layer, and so on.

Is there a way I can constrain the Magic Wand tool to always refer to the Flats layer so I can stay working on the layer I am coloring in? I want to just be able to press the W key, select my area, and then keep shading and coloring. Is this possible?

The only option immediately obvious is to be able to toggle selecting on all layers, or current layer, but that doesn't get to where I need to go.

Maybe there's a roundabout method to acheive something similar?

TOPICS
How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Is it possible to constrain magic wand to select from a specific layer?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do a lot of coloring for comic book style art. I often have one layer, called "Flats" where I have all the areas that will be colored filled in with a different, flat color. I do my actual detailed color, lighting, shading and effects on other layers.

I often need to refer back to that flats layer so I can select an area of color to work on, and then work on it on one of my colors/shading layers. Once I've started applying any shading, I can't use the color/shading layers for selecting areas anymore, because the magic doesn't not work well with gradients. Or sometimes effects might be separated on different layers in ways that get complicated.

Unfortunately, to select an area on the Flats layer, I have to select the Flats layer, use the magic wand to select the color area, then move back to the colors/shading layers. It's a lot of steps, and I often make mistakes, and start shading on the flats layer, or on the wrong layer, and so on.

Is there a way I can constrain the Magic Wand tool to always refer to the Flats layer so I can stay working on the layer I am coloring in? I want to just be able to press the W key, select my area, and then keep shading and coloring. Is this possible?

The only option immediately obvious is to be able to toggle selecting on all layers, or current layer, but that doesn't get to where I need to go.

Maybe there's a roundabout method to acheive something similar?

TOPICS
How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 22, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you want it to select colors in one layer, but that layer is currently not selected? I don't think you can do that. The Magic Wand can only select from the current layer, or all layers.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2020 0